Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Selling books online and shipping

1. Feb 20, 2017 #1
    (In the United States anyway).

When you sell books online, what methods do you use? How much do you pay? Do you use media mail? Flat rate boxes?

I am selling some textbooks I'm no longer using, and I'm kind of clueless about this sort of thing. I've been going to a UPS store that does USPS. They are extremely helpful and friendly, but today I was charged $7.00 shipping for media mail for a textbook. (It's Rotman's group theory - kind of heavy, but is it THAT heavy?).

I think the post office might be slightly further away but they will probably be grumpier and expect I already know what I'm doing. If you know you are selling stuff online, do you save money by buying a few mailers ahead of time and perhaps printing your own labels?

-Dave K

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2017 #2
    Oh, so you all just keep all your books.

:H

4. Feb 22, 2017 #3

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep. Maybe you should reconsider. :devil:

5. Feb 22, 2017 #4
    Sorry, I have never sold my books. Right now I am, in my boring time, re-reading the calculus one :smile:. And practicing the exercises again.
    UPS doing USPS?

I am confused now. USPS is United States Postal Service. UPS is another shipping entity... I don't get it.

:oldconfused:
    Yes, postal offices, in my experience, have a lot of traffic. They are just not into informing the client. They just expect you to know.

6. Feb 23, 2017 #5
    It's a special time. One volume of Hungerford bought me two containers of Similac baby formula...

It's a UPS "store" so they do all kinds of shipping services including regular postal.

I just wish they were more...gruntled..

7. Feb 23, 2017 #6
    I go to two US post offices, a small one near my house and a large one by the airport. They are both staffed by friendly, helpful, knowledgeable people.

8. Feb 23, 2017 #7

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted