Why don't we have Physics challenges in PF?

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation suggests the idea of having a Physics challenge in physicsforums, similar to the existing Math challenge. However, there is currently no one available to lead or organize it. Suggestions are made for a possible solution, such as having a problem-of-the-day type of format, but concerns are raised about the potential challenges of creating and managing such a project. It is also noted that physics questions may lead to more discussions and debates due to the lack of a natural authority figure.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
I see a Math challenge, but why don't we have a Physics challenge in physicsforums?

Likes pinball1970
Physics news on Phys.org
MathematicalPhysicist said:
I see a Math challenge, but why don't we have a Physics challenge in physicsforums?
Good idea. Want to do it?

These challenges take quite a bit of work and we are grateful to @fresh_42 for handling the math challenges. We have no one willing and able to do it for physics.

Likes pinball1970, phinds, JD_PM and 5 others
DrClaude said:
Always wanted a physics version! We just need a few volunteers to head it.

The physics in my EM text is contained in one equation. All the rest is math.

I don't know, if this would work, but one way of running it would be to have some way for members to submit individual questions [don't know a mechanism for this, at the moment] whenever they feel like it, along with some label of 'difficulty', and then from that question bank someone can collate a few of them every month or so into a challenge thread.

Of course, the questions might be less consistent or vary in quality, and if there's a lack of interest we could easily run out of questions, but it's an alternative to making only one or two people spend a lot of time putting it together every month.

Likes JD_PM and Frigus
That sounds just like what PF already is!
Or are you looking for some sort of 'Reward' mechanism?

Likes etotheipi
DrClaude said:

These challenges take quite a bit of work and we are grateful to @fresh_42 for handling the math challenges. We have no one willing and able to do it for physics.
Does @fresh_42 look at problems from books and articles or does he "cook" the problems from his head?
I can try giving problems from Schutz's or Zweibach's which I don't have solutions to, but I can see them go either way to HW or as a challenge. There are also questions of terryw in advanced physics from MTW's book which no one solved as of yet.

I can try to compile a list of such problems, do the problems need to be original, i.e not taken from any book,article, etc?

I often try to pose math questions which are close to physics; things like Noether, Lotka-Volterra, differential geometry, fluid dynamics etc. But it's primarily the mathematicians who answer those, if at all.

Likes Evo
MathematicalPhysicist said:
Does @fresh_42 look at problems from books and articles or does he "cook" the problems from his head?
Cooking sounds easier than it actually is. I mainly take questions from exams, because I want to add more value to the questions than just some sophisticated puzzles. They could probably be found by some Google searches, but I take German exams o0).

I had some cooked ones, too, but it is difficult to close all possible loopholes, and or to find interesting subjects.

fresh_42 said:
Cooking sounds easier than it actually is. I mainly take questions from exams, because I want to add more value to the questions than just some sophisticated puzzles. They could probably be found by some Google searches, but I take German exams o0).

I had some cooked ones, too, but it is difficult to close all possible loopholes, and or to find interesting subjects.
Well I can post questions from my exams in QFT II, I guess you can search them in the web; I myself would like to know their solutions... :oldbiggrin:

Likes PhDeezNutz
I think a carefully curated set of problems from a textbook that are the most interesting would be a valuable resource in and of itself.

so is this happening or not?

Hamiltonian299792458 said:
so is this happening or not?
We need someone to lead it.

Could be fun to have a physics problem-of-the-day type of thing. Instead of writing original questions they could just be vaguely interesting ones collated from different textbooks or problem books, and people could chip in with comments or solutions.

Likes Hamiltonian
Yes, I got some good advice from @fresh_42 I have to consider if I have the bandwidth. I like the idea, but I don’t want to do a haphazard job

Such a problem of the day would at least solve the main problem with physics challenges. This is:
If we do not have a clear true - false situation or a mathematical calculation, then any physics question is likely a more or less long description of a kind of experiment. I predict that an inevitable implication will be an annoying discussion about understanding, details, which laws should be applied, etc. The reason is, that other than in a real exam or tutorial, we have no natural authority. An actual exercise is as it is, nobody will question what the professor wrote or posed. This is different here. People discuss, question, and doubt everything all the time. A short glimpse into the QM Interpretation forum will show what I mean. Math is easier in this respect.

Likes MathematicalPhysicist and anorlunda
fresh_42 said:
Such a problem of the day would at least solve the main problem with physics challenges. This is:
If we do not have a clear true - false situation or a mathematical calculation, then any physics question is likely a more or less long description of a kind of experiment. I predict that an inevitable implication will be an annoying discussion about understanding, details, which laws should be applied, etc. The reason is, that other than in a real exam or tutorial, we have no natural authority. An actual exercise is as it is, nobody will question what the professor wrote or posed. This is different here. People discuss, question, and doubt everything all the time. A short glimpse into the QM Interpretation forum will show what I mean. Math is easier in this respect.
Yes, it does seem a bit of hard to have a physics monthly problem challenge.

And I don't have the time for it, unfortunately.
But perhaps we can discuss problem/s from books such as Grenoble's Hamiltonian and Lagrangian dynamics, it's quite advanced book on classical mechanics.

Likes Keith_McClary

1. Why aren't there any Physics challenges in PF?

There are a few reasons why there are no Physics challenges in PF. Firstly, Physics is a complex and challenging subject that requires a strong foundation in mathematics and other sciences. Therefore, it may not be suitable for all participants in PF. Additionally, creating Physics challenges that are both engaging and accurate can be difficult and time-consuming. Finally, PF may have chosen to focus on other subjects or topics that are more popular among its users.

2. Will there ever be Physics challenges in PF?

It is difficult to predict the future plans of PF, but it is possible that there may be Physics challenges in the future. However, this would depend on the demand and interest from the PF community, as well as the availability of resources and expertise to create and maintain these challenges.

3. Can I suggest Physics challenges for PF?

Yes, you can always suggest new ideas and topics for challenges in PF. The platform values user feedback and suggestions, and it is always looking for ways to improve and expand its content. You can reach out to the PF team through their website or social media channels to share your ideas.

4. Are there any alternative platforms for Physics challenges?

Yes, there are many other platforms and websites that offer Physics challenges and resources. Some popular ones include Khan Academy, Brilliant, and Physics Stack Exchange. These platforms may have a wider range of Physics challenges and topics compared to PF.

5. How can I improve my Physics skills without challenges in PF?

There are many ways to improve your Physics skills without challenges in PF. You can read textbooks, watch educational videos, attend lectures or workshops, and practice solving problems on your own. You can also join online forums or communities where you can ask questions and discuss Physics concepts with others. Additionally, you can seek guidance from a mentor or tutor who can provide personalized support and feedback.