Why exp(ikx-iwt) and not exp(ikx+iwt)?

• B
  • Thread starter Isaac0427
  • Start date
In summary: That's another way to see that only the ##-## sign works.In summary, the time independent free particle is described by the equation ##e^{i(kx-\omega t)}##, which is a solution to Schrödinger's equation. Both ##e^{i(kx-\omega t)}## and ##e^{i(kx+\omega t)}## are valid solutions, but the latter would result in negative energy. This convention is chosen so that the function evolves in a certain way with time. The ##-## sign is also necessary for solving the free-particle SE using separation of variables.
Isaac0427
Insights Author
The time independent free particle is described by the equation ##e^{i(kx-\omega t)}##. Why do we use this equation instead of ##e^{i(kx+\omega t)}##. I know the answer is "because that's how nature works," but I want to know why we think nature works that way. Where did we get these equations from? Why was ##e^{i(kx-\omega t)}## postulated and not ##e^{i(kx+\omega t)}##?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The time exponent part is just the solution to a time independent Hamiltonian inserted into Schrodinger's equation, there really isn't much more to it... now if you want to ask how come Schrodinger's equation describes nature then you're out out of luck pal.

Both forms are solutions to Schrödinger's equation. See for yourself by substituting each one into the SE.

jtbell said:
Both forms are solutions to Schrödinger's equation. See for yourself by substituting each one into the SE.
But with the exp(ikx+iwt), the energy would be negative. This is because the energy operator is iħ∂t instead of -iħ∂t as it is in the momentum operator (of course in the momentum operator the derivative is with respect to position). I've always thought the energy operator was defined that way because of the sign on iwt. So I'm getting that this is just a convention so that the function evolves with time in a certain way.

You're right, the solution with ##+i \omega t = +iEt/\hbar## isn't valid. Somehow I was thinking of these versions: ##e^{-i(\omega t - kx)}## and ##e^{-i(\omega t + kx)}## which puts the ± on the kx.

As to why it has to be ##-i \omega t = -iEt/\hbar##, have you seen how to solve the free-particle SE by using separation of variables, i.e. ##\Psi(x,t) = \psi(x)f(t)##?

1. Why is the wave function in the form of exp(ikx-iwt) and not exp(ikx+iwt)?

The form of the wave function is determined by the underlying physical principles and mathematical equations that govern the system. In many cases, the negative sign in the exponent is chosen to represent the direction of propagation of the wave, with the positive direction being in the direction of increasing x. This convention is also consistent with the direction of energy flow in the wave.

2. What is the significance of the negative sign in exp(ikx-iwt)?

The negative sign in the exponent represents the direction of propagation of the wave. In the case of a plane wave, the negative sign indicates that the wave is moving in the positive x direction. This convention is important for understanding the behavior and properties of the wave.

3. Can the wave function be written in the form of exp(ikx+iwt)?

Yes, the wave function can be written in the form of exp(ikx+iwt) by simply changing the direction of propagation. This form may be used in certain cases, such as when considering a wave reflected off a boundary or when dealing with a wave traveling in the opposite direction.

4. Why is the wave function a complex exponential instead of a simple sine or cosine function?

The use of complex exponentials in the wave function is a mathematical convenience that simplifies the solutions to the governing equations of the system. It allows for a more elegant and compact representation of the wave, and also allows for easy manipulation and analysis using complex numbers.

5. Does the choice of exp(ikx-iwt) or exp(ikx+iwt) affect the physical properties of the wave?

No, the choice of exp(ikx-iwt) or exp(ikx+iwt) does not affect the physical properties of the wave. These two forms are simply different representations of the same wave and have equivalent physical significance. The choice of which form to use depends on the specific problem at hand and the desired conventions for representing the wave.