1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What exactly does 'x-vt' mean in the wave equation?

1. Oct 7, 2015 #1
    So the equation is
    f(x,t) = f(x-vt,0) = A sine k(x-vt).

Now Since x is displacement of wave from origin, t is time taken for that,wouldn't 'x-vt' always be equal to 0 ?
    If x-vt is 0,
    Y = A sine k(x-vt) will also be zero.
    So am I writing the equation wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2015 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi there Jayxl
    welcome to PF :smile:

no, as you said x is the displacement = velocity "v" times t (time) so it can only be 0 if there is no wave propagation

the - sign represents a forward ( rightward ) wave propagation of the wave (x-vt)
    if a + sign then its a leftward ( backwards) propagating wave (x+vt)

Dave

4. Oct 7, 2015 #3

DrDu

Science Advisor

What kind of waves are you considering?
    x isn't the displacement of the wave whatever, but the point in space whence the displacement is measured.

5. Oct 7, 2015 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I could get out of my depth very quickly here :wink:
    not really my field of interest .... am not familiar with the 0 in the f(x-vt,0), am wondering if that defines the
    displacement at the origin time which really means f(x-vt,0) = f(x) ?

hope some one more knowledgeable chimes in :)

Dave

6. Oct 7, 2015 #5

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

which is the same as the displacement from origin @ time t, when velocity =v

you cant measure the displacement of a point without referring to where it has been displaced from

7. Oct 7, 2015 #6

DrDu

Science Advisor

That's why I was asking about which waves we are talking. For example, I could consider transversal waves on a string. Then if the extension of the string is in x direction and the tranversal displacement is in y direction then f=y (if the undisplaced string is at y=0).

8. Oct 7, 2015 #7

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

ahh ok

I may be wrong ( as said, not my forte) I was understanding that this was for longitudinal waves travelling through/along a medium
    ie, along your guitar string, not the traverse motion if the string .... can it be used to describe both ?

D

9. Oct 7, 2015 #8

DrDu

Science Advisor

Of course it can. But in general, x refers to the undisplaced position ##x=x_\mathrm{undisplaced}## and f would be ##f=x_\mathrm{displaced}-x_\mathrm{undisplaced}##.

10. Oct 7, 2015 #9

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK so how does that fit in with

To displace any function f(x) to the right, just change its
    argument from x to x-x0, where x0 is a positive number.

If we let x0 = v t, where v is positive and t is time, then the displacement
    increases with increasing time

am always willing to learn :smile:

D

11. Oct 7, 2015 #10
    x is not the displacement of the wave from the origin. x is just the x coordinate of the point where we are measuring the displacement of the waving medium from its normal value. This could be a displacement in the same direction of the x-coordinate (longitudal waves), or in a different direction (transverse waves), or even a pressure (sound waves).

The solution of the wave equation f(x,t) = Asin (k (x-vt)) gives you the values of the displacement for all values of x and t, so saying x-vt has to be 0 makes no sense

12. Oct 7, 2015 #11
    For a given position [itex]x[/itex] and time [itex]t[/itex], you evaluate the function [itex]f(x,t)[/itex] at those values to determine the height of the wave.

This is different from [itex]v[/itex], the speed of propagation of the wave. Consider yourself moving to the right with displacement defined by [itex]x(t)=v' t +x_0[/itex]. Then, plugging this into [itex]f(x,t)[/itex] you can see that [itex]f(x(t),t)[/itex] is constant in time if and only if [itex]v' = v[/itex]. Thus we conclude that the speed of the wave is indeed [itex]v[/itex].

13. Oct 7, 2015 #12

atyy

Science Advisor

f(x,t) means f is a function of x and t, eg. x2t3.

However, that is too general for a solution to the wave equation, which is why you wrote f(x,t) = f(x-vt,0), which means that f could be any function of x-vt, eg. (x-vt)3 + exp(x-vt).

If you have a function f(x), then f(x+a) is the shape shifted to the left by a.

So f(x-vt,0) mean that as t increases, vt increases, and the shape shifts to the right by vt. In other words the shape travels to the right as time increases.

14. Oct 7, 2015 #13

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I've never seen the general function written that way, either. I've always seen it as just f(x-vt). Perhaps the OP could give us a link to where he saw it, or maybe someone else recognizes it.

15. Oct 9, 2015 #14

morrobay

Gold Member

With y = A sin (kx - ωt) the calculator should be on radians for sin , correct ?
    I just made up some numerical values for : A =1. λ =3m. k = 2.09 rad/unit distance , frequency = 4 cy/sec , v = 12m/s . ω = 25.12 rad/s
    At t0
    x0 = 10m
    At t1 = 4 sec
    x1 = 58 m
    So y = Asin(kx-ωt) = y = sin (121.2-100.4)
    With sin in radians = .955
    With sin in degrees = .355

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  16. Oct 10, 2015 #15

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

y=f(x-vt) simply means that x and t appear only in the combination x-vt, possibly with other constants "surrounding" that combination (loosely speaking). Here's a simple example: y=(x-2t)2. To see that 2 is really a velocity, set t to a couple of different values, and make graphs of y versus x for each of them.

Setting t=0 gives y=x2. The graph is a parabola with its vertex at the origin (x=0).

Setting t=1 gives y=(x-2)2. The graph is a parabola with the same shape as before, but with its vertex on the x-axis at x=2.

Setting t=2 gives y=(x-4)2. The graph is a parabola with the same shape as before, but with its vertex on the x-axis at x=4.

Clearly y=(x-2t)2 represents a parabola moving in the +x direction with speed v=2.

What about ##y=A \sin (kx-\omega t)##, a common description of a sinusoidal wave? Rewrite it a bit: $$y=A \sin \left[ k \left( x-\frac{\omega}{k}t \right) \right] \\
    y = A \sin [k(x-vt)]$$ where ##v=\omega/k##. So this is also in the form y=f(x-vt).

Now put in some numbers. Let A=1, ##k=\pi/5## and ##\omega=0.4\pi##, so $$y = \sin \left( \frac{\pi}{5} x - 0.4 \pi t \right)$$ As we did for the parabola above, make three graphs of y versus x, setting t=0, t=1 and t=2 respectively. You should get three sinusoidal graphs, with wavelength ##\lambda = 2\pi/k = 10##, shifted from one to the next in the +x direction by v = ω/k = 2 units.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  17. Oct 10, 2015 #16

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Amplifying jtbell's comments...

Check out https://www.desmos.com/calculator/bjt6dleg5h and the screenshot below.

Let u=x-vt, with v>0.
    When t=0, then u=x (for all x).
    Consider the snapshot of a disturbance in space at t=0 (the dotted graph).
    At a later time t=1, that disturbance has advanced to the right by a displacement vt.
    (I tried to show this on a faux 3-d plot. Imagine a stack of xy-planes for each time t, with the disturbance function drawn on it...each plane drawn slightly displaced to minimize overlap.)

Pick any value of U (say U=0)... and consider the value of the function at f(0), call it A.
    So, A is the disturbance at u=0 (that is when x-vt=0 or when x=vt).
    At time t=0, A is the disturbance at x=0 (since u=0).
    At time t=1, A is the disturbance at x=v*1 (since u=0).
    At time t=2, A is the disturbance at x=v*2 (since u=0).
    That is to say, the "disturbance at x=0 when t=0" is advancing to the right with velocity v.

Now pick another value of U (say U=0.1)....
    and consider the value of the function at f(0.1), call it B.
    So, B is the disturbance at u=0.1 (that is when x-vt=0.1 or when x=0.1+vt).
    At time t=0, B is the disturbance at x=0.1 (since u=0.1).
    At time t=1, B is the disturbance at x=0.1+v*1 (since u=0.1).
    At time t=2, B is the disturbance at x=0.1+v*2 (since u=0.1).
    That is to say, the "disturbance at x=0.1 when t=0" is advancing to the right with velocity v.

And so on for each value of U that you choose (that is, for each location x at time t=0).

Thus, with v>0,
    "f(x-vt)" describes the disturbance pattern in space (i.e. at locations x) moving to the right (as t increases, x must increase to keep x-vt=constant).
    and
    "f(x+vt)" describes the disturbance pattern in space (i.e. at locations x) moving to the left (as t increases, x must decrease to keep x+vt=constant).

https://www.desmos.com/calculator/bjt6dleg5h
    bjt6dleg5h.png

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  18. Oct 11, 2015 #17

DrDu

Science Advisor

Quite interesting discussion. A pitty that the OP didn't show up again!

19. Oct 11, 2015 #18

morrobay

Gold Member

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook