Why is 2Δx = Δy in this problem?

• Thread starter UniqUnicJohni
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of solving pulley problems in a physics competition and the confusion surrounding the equation 2Δx = Δy. The solution is to draw a diagram showing the setup with a visible Δx and checking which pieces of rope have changed length, while also considering the direction of x and y. It is also important to identify the type of pulleys present in the diagram.
UniqUnicJohni
Homework Statement
Find accelerations of the two bodies.
Relevant Equations
Constant rope length.
Hi, I've been practicing some physics for my competition and the pulley problems seemed the hardest to me. This one seemed similar to the others I have already done, but I can't seem to find the reason why 2Δx = Δy. Can you please explain why?

Sorry for the poor English.
screen.png

Physics news on Phys.org
What happens if you draw another picture showing the situation after the system has changed by ##\Delta x##?

Hello johni, :welcome: !

UniqUnicJohni said:
Can you please explain why?
Yes.
What I do is draw the setup with a visible ##\Delta x## (e.g. half-way to the wall) and then I check which pieces of rope have changed length.

You also have to worry about signs. Which way is positive in x and y ?

[edit] slower than @PeroK but it's good to see that great minds think alike :wink:

UniqUnicJohni said:
... This one seemed similar to the others I have already done, but I can't seem to find the reason why 2Δx = Δy.
All pulleys look alike, but some serve only for changing the direction of the rope/cable/chain, while others act as levers, reducing the pulling effort in half and doubling the length of rope to pull.
Try identifying what type each of the pulleys in your diagram is.

pully4a.gif

Likes bagasme and vanhees71
Very nice picture !

Likes Lnewqban

1. What is the significance of 2Δx and Δy in this problem?

The values 2Δx and Δy represent the change in the x and y variables, respectively, in a mathematical equation. In this problem, they are used to calculate the slope of a line.

2. Why is 2Δx equal to Δy in this problem?

In this specific problem, 2Δx is equal to Δy because the equation being used is for the slope of a line, which is rise over run. In other words, the change in y (Δy) over the change in x (Δx) is always equal to the slope of a line.

3. How is the concept of slope related to 2Δx and Δy?

The concept of slope is directly related to 2Δx and Δy because it is calculated by dividing the change in y (Δy) by the change in x (Δx). The values of 2Δx and Δy are crucial in determining the slope of a line.

4. Can you provide an example of a problem where 2Δx is not equal to Δy?

Yes, in some mathematical equations, 2Δx may not be equal to Δy. For example, in a quadratic equation, the values of 2Δx and Δy will differ depending on the specific values of x and y used in the equation.

5. How does understanding the relationship between 2Δx and Δy help in solving this problem?

Understanding the relationship between 2Δx and Δy is crucial in solving this problem because it allows us to accurately calculate the slope of a line. Without this understanding, we would not be able to correctly interpret the change in x and y values and solve the problem.