(Movement Homework) What is the speed of a marble falling on the moon?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in physics involving a marble attached to a string and an astronaut on the moon. The person is struggling to find the correct formula to use and asks for pointers. The conversation then suggests thinking of the problem in terms of kinetic and potential energy, and provides guidance on how to approach the problem.
sigurdfromnor
Homework Statement
An astronaut on the moon has a string with a marble attached to the end.

he pulls the string [straight out] to the side and releases it [the marble]. the marble falls down and continues upwards on the other side until it reaches the same hight as it was when the astronaut released it .

assume that the string has a mass so small that we look away from it.
the marble weighs 10g and the field strength of the moon is gm = 1.6N / kg ,
the distance from the marbels highest point to its lowest is 1M.

what is the speed of the marble when it is at its lowest point ?
Relevant Equations
N/A
Sorry for the bad english.
This might sound stupid but I am pretty new the physics and i can't seem to find what formula to use on this problem when only the mass, gravity and height of the fall is given.
and i can't find a similar problem in the book, could someone give me any pointers?
Thanks

[Additions in brackets by a Mentor to clarify the problem a bit]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What book are you using? Could you solve it if it were on Earth instead of the Moon?

im studying in norway so the book is in norwegian, It's called (Rom Stoff Tid) that probably dosen't help you hahah.
No i wouldn't be able to solve it on earth,
if i got a starting speed i could probably solve it, but since it from a stand still I am not sure what equation to use.
im pretty new to physics, so I'm still learning the basics.

You should be able to find similar problems. You can think of this (if I understand you) as a simple pendulum.

Hint: Have you covered any conservation laws?

Likes berkeman
sigurdfromnor said:
Homework Statement:: An astronaut on the moon has a string with a marble attached to the end.

he pulls the string to the side and releases it. the marble falls down and continues upwards on the other side until it reaches the same hight as it was when the astronaut released it .

assume that the string has a mass so small that we look away from it.
the marble weighs 10g and the field strength of the moon is gm = 1.6N / kg ,
the distance from the marbels highest point to its lowest is 1M.

what is the speed of the marble when it is at its lowest point ?
Relevant Equations:: N/A

Sorry for the bad english.
This might sound stupid but I am pretty new the physics and i can't seem to find what formula to use on this problem when only the mass, gravity and height of the fall is given.
and i can't find a similar problem in the book, could someone give me any pointers?
Thanks
I guess this is what is often called a pendulum!

sigurdfromnor said:
if i got a starting speed i could probably solve it, but since it from a stand still
So you do have the starting speed. A stand still means zero starting speed.

A way to think of this problem, is in terms of gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy.
1) Do you know what is the formula for kinetic energy and gravitational potential energy?
2) Where do these energies are maximum or minimum, calculate these energies for points A and B.
3) Finally, what would only be left is to realize that the gravitational potential energy must have been entirely converted into kinetic energy.

Likes sigurdfromnor
phystro said:
A way to think of this problem, is in terms of gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy.
1) Do you know what is the formula for kinetic energy and gravitational potential energy?
2) Where do these energies are maximum or minimum, calculate these energies for points A and B.
3) Finally, what would only be left is to realize that the gravitational potential energy must have been entirely converted into kinetic energy.
Thanks, this helped a lot. I was finally able to solve it. :)

Likes berkeman

1. What is the acceleration due to gravity on the moon?

The acceleration due to gravity on the moon is approximately 1.6 m/s². This is about 1/6th of the acceleration due to gravity on Earth.

2. How does the speed of a marble falling on the moon compare to a marble falling on Earth?

Due to the lower acceleration due to gravity on the moon, a marble will fall at a slower speed on the moon compared to Earth. However, the specific speed will depend on the initial height and mass of the marble.

3. Can the speed of a marble falling on the moon be calculated using the same formula as on Earth?

Yes, the formula for calculating the speed of an object falling due to gravity (v = gt) can be used on both the moon and Earth. However, the acceleration due to gravity (g) will be different on the moon.

4. How does the speed of a marble falling on the moon change as it gets closer to the surface?

The speed of a marble falling on the moon will increase as it gets closer to the surface, due to the acceleration of gravity. However, the rate of increase will be slower compared to Earth because of the lower acceleration due to gravity on the moon.

5. Are there any factors other than gravity that can affect the speed of a marble falling on the moon?

Yes, factors such as air resistance and the shape and mass of the marble can also affect its speed. However, these factors will have a smaller impact on the moon compared to Earth due to the moon's lack of atmosphere and lower gravitational pull.