Why is a differential amplifier considered the same as a subtractor?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of superposition and setting the ratio of resistors in a circuit to achieve a subtractor. The book "Foundations of Analog and Digital Electronics" by Agarwal and Lang explains that this circuit is a subtractor, but the speaker questions whether it is actually a differential amplifier. They then go on to simulate both circuits and conclude that all resistors must be the same for a true subtractor. The book is referenced for more information on the topic. The conversation ends with a discussion on the difference between a differential amplifier and a subtractor.
altruan23
Homework Statement
So i was learning about the subtractor op amp circuit and saw that everyone is saying that a subtractor is the same as a differential op amp.
Relevant Equations
superposition, voltage divider , op amp
So after using superposition and setting the ratio R2/R1 = R4/R3 the same or R2=R4 and R1=R3,i come to the eq. for output voltage Vout= R2/R1 * (V2-V1) or R4/R3(V2-V1). And in the book foundations of analog and digital electronics by agarwal and lang, they are saying that this circuit is a subtractor.
but isn't that just an differential amplifier, as it amplifies with the ratio R2/R1 the difference (V2-V1)? Schouldnt a subtractor be Vout= V2-V1 so that means i need to have R1=R2=R3=R4. why is everyone saying that a differential amp. is the same as subtracter?? i simulated both circuits and as i tought, all resistors must be the same to really have a subtractor.
The first picture is R2/R1 = R4/R3 as in the book.
1648029983564.png

So as you can see, 7V-3V schould be 4 according to a real subtractor, but because the ratio R2/R1 or R4/R3 is 2, Uout is 2*4=8.
And if i set all the resistors the same i truly get a real subtractor.
1648030074744.png

So why is everyone saying that a differential amp is the same as subctractor?? i mean a subtractor is a differential amp with gain 1, but a differential amp with some other gain isn't a subtractor.

the book is here: https://neurophysics.ucsd.edu/courses/physics_120/Agarwal and Lang (2005) Foundations of Analog and Digital.pdf
online book page 883

Physics news on Phys.org
altruan23 said:
So why is everyone saying that a differential amp is the same as subctractor?? i mean a subtractor is a differential amp with gain 1, but a differential amp with some other gain isn't a subtractor.
If the term (V2 - V1) is present then it is subtracting two voltages, by computing a difference. The gain is a bonus since the output can be scaled without adding more resistors or another op-amp. In analog electronics everything is scaled to use the available common mode range.

Likes altruan23

1. Why is a differential amplifier considered the same as a subtractor?

A differential amplifier is considered the same as a subtractor because it has the ability to subtract one input signal from another. This is achieved by taking the difference between the two input signals and amplifying it, resulting in an output signal that represents the subtraction of the two inputs.

2. How does a differential amplifier perform subtraction?

A differential amplifier performs subtraction by using two input signals, one of which is inverted. The inverted signal is then subtracted from the non-inverted signal, resulting in the difference between the two inputs. This difference is then amplified to produce the output signal.

3. What are the advantages of using a differential amplifier as a subtractor?

One advantage of using a differential amplifier as a subtractor is that it can provide high precision and accuracy in subtracting two signals. It also has a high input impedance, which means it does not draw much current from the input sources. Additionally, it can be easily integrated into larger electronic systems.

4. Can a differential amplifier only perform subtraction?

No, a differential amplifier can also be used to amplify a single input signal or to perform other mathematical operations such as addition, multiplication, and division. However, its primary function is to perform subtraction due to its configuration.

5. Are there any limitations to using a differential amplifier as a subtractor?

One limitation of using a differential amplifier as a subtractor is that it is sensitive to noise and can amplify any noise present in the input signals. This can result in inaccurate subtraction and affect the overall performance of the amplifier. Additionally, it requires a balanced input signal, meaning that both inputs must be equal in amplitude and opposite in polarity for proper subtraction to occur.