Why Is a Moving Meter Stick Measured at 80 cm Assumed to Be 100 cm at Rest?

  • Thread starter Thread starter cmantzioros
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Length Relative
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
cmantzioros
Messages
29
Reaction score
0
I'm attempting a question that reads: A moving meter stick is measured to be 80 cm. What is its speed?

The related formula is L = Lo/gamma where gamma = 1 / (1 - (v/c)^2)^(1/2)

I looked at the solution provided and the first statement is: Lo = 100cm. I understand the rest from there but I have no idea where this 100cm comes from. Can anyone explain?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
cmantzioros said:
I looked at the solution provided and the first statement is: Lo = 100cm. I understand the rest from there but I have no idea where this 100cm comes from. Can anyone explain?
They said it was a "meter stick", and 1 meter = 100 cm. This must be its length in its own rest frame.