Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Why is a Tungsten filament used in incandescent bulbs? (Factual Question)

1. Jan 14, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Why is a tungsten filament used in incandescent bulbs?

I earlier thought that it was due to the high resistivity of tungsten , but i was wrong , the resistivity of tungsten is low at 5.2 * 10^-8 Is it due to its high melting point?? I cant figure out as high melting point doesnt seem to be the only reason for selection of Tungsten.
    Please Help.
    Thank You

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2010 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What physical properties do you want from a lamp filament ?
    hint - What does Tungsten have the highest of ?

4. Jan 14, 2010 #3
    i think it should be high melting point ( Tungsten has a MP of 3380 C) but again , it has a very low resistivity which means it has a low resistance. So according to Joule's law of heating , a very less amount of heat would be produced . What are your views on this?

5. Jan 14, 2010 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You want less heat - it's wasted energy but that's a secondary point.

The important point is that to get visible light you need the filament to be as hot as possible, an the lamp will fail when the filament melts - so you need the highest melting point material possible (that is also a conductor of course)

6. Jan 14, 2010 #5
    I get it , so the main reason is melting point! Thanks a ton , i have an exam tommorow , this will surely help!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook