1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is a Tungsten filament used in incandescent bulbs? (Factual Question)

1. Jan 14, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Why is a tungsten filament used in incandescent bulbs?

I earlier thought that it was due to the high resistivity of tungsten , but i was wrong , the resistivity of tungsten is low at 5.2 * 10^-8 Is it due to its high melting point?? I cant figure out as high melting point doesnt seem to be the only reason for selection of Tungsten.
    Please Help.
    Thank You

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2010 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What physical properties do you want from a lamp filament ?
    hint - What does Tungsten have the highest of ?

4. Jan 14, 2010 #3
    i think it should be high melting point ( Tungsten has a MP of 3380 C) but again , it has a very low resistivity which means it has a low resistance. So according to Joule's law of heating , a very less amount of heat would be produced . What are your views on this?

5. Jan 14, 2010 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You want less heat - it's wasted energy but that's a secondary point.

The important point is that to get visible light you need the filament to be as hot as possible, an the lamp will fail when the filament melts - so you need the highest melting point material possible (that is also a conductor of course)

6. Jan 14, 2010 #5
    I get it , so the main reason is melting point! Thanks a ton , i have an exam tommorow , this will surely help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook