Why is Dr McCoy always mad? (into darkness movie)

  • Thread starter Thread starter ppppparker
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Movie
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 3K views
ppppparker
Messages
18
Reaction score
4
What is supposed to be the back story about why McCoy is always sort of pissed off all the time and kind of cynical in the movie? I get that he's based on another actor playing McCoy but does the character have some back-story that was in some episode or something, for being mad all the time? I have an uncle that's like Mccoy, not an MD , but he acts a lot like the Mccoy, always sort of pissed off at everyone even though everyone totally likes him. Is there some reason that McCoy is like this, or people in general?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I will never hire these people to be my hotel receptionists or PR, communication related jobs.
 
ppppparker said:
What is supposed to be the back story about why McCoy is always sort of pissed off all the time and kind of cynical in the movie? I get that he's based on another actor playing McCoy but does the character have some back-story that was in some episode or something, for being mad all the time? I have an uncle that's like Mccoy, not an MD , but he acts a lot like the Mccoy, always sort of pissed off at everyone even though everyone totally likes him. Is there some reason that McCoy is like this, or people in general?
It's a movie. He's a contrasting character (serious) to Kirk's character (sometimes seemingly scattered, sometimes flippant).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn
I'm rather irritable too. I don't know why.
 
I believe it's just the way he is. I do remember him mentioning something about an ex-wife taking "everything but his bones" from him in the first movie, so maybe he's just had a rough personal life.
 
Maybe he's smoking that blue meth. DeForest Kelley always looked kind of bug-eyed and he was tripping out when he traveled back in time to meet Joan Collins.
 
Drakkith said:
I believe it's just the way he is. I do remember him mentioning something about an ex-wife taking "everything but his bones" from him in the first movie, so maybe he's just had a rough personal life.
I think that's it. The "ex-wife taking everything but his bones" quote explains his whole temperament when he starts his Starfleet career, as well as explaining his nickname. He probably had a really nice life before he joined Starfleet, and he's now starting his life over. He doensnt have much of a character arc though compared to Spock and Kirk from 1st movie to the 2nd one. I mean he just stays pissed off.
 
Drakkith said:
I believe it's just the way he is. I do remember him mentioning something about an ex-wife taking "everything but his bones" from him in the first movie, so maybe he's just had a rough personal life.
That was my take on it as well. I just figured he had a total crap storm through his life and felt that nothing good ever happens.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Silicon Waffle
"Bones" is a pretty standard nickname for ship's doctor just as "sparks" is for the radio operator.
Though I don't remember anyone calling Uhura "sparks"!
 
HallsofIvy said:
"Bones" is a pretty standard nickname for ship's doctor just as "sparks" is for the radio operator.
Though I don't remember anyone calling Uhura "sparks"!
If you went down that rabbit hole, before you know it Spok would be "ears" and Kirk would be known as "pants".