Why is Dr McCoy always mad? (into darkness movie)

• Thread starter ppppparker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movie
In summary, McCoy is always sort of pissed off and cynical because of something that happened in his past.
ppppparker
What is supposed to be the back story about why McCoy is always sort of pissed off all the time and kind of cynical in the movie? I get that he's based on another actor playing McCoy but does the character have some back-story that was in some episode or something, for being mad all the time? I have an uncle that's like Mccoy, not an MD , but he acts a lot like the Mccoy, always sort of pissed off at everyone even though everyone totally likes him. Is there some reason that McCoy is like this, or people in general?

Physics news on Phys.org
I will never hire these people to be my hotel receptionists or PR, communication related jobs.

ppppparker said:
What is supposed to be the back story about why McCoy is always sort of pissed off all the time and kind of cynical in the movie? I get that he's based on another actor playing McCoy but does the character have some back-story that was in some episode or something, for being mad all the time? I have an uncle that's like Mccoy, not an MD , but he acts a lot like the Mccoy, always sort of pissed off at everyone even though everyone totally likes him. Is there some reason that McCoy is like this, or people in general?
It's a movie. He's a contrasting character (serious) to Kirk's character (sometimes seemingly scattered, sometimes flippant).

Likes davenn
I'm rather irritable too. I don't know why.

I believe it's just the way he is. I do remember him mentioning something about an ex-wife taking "everything but his bones" from him in the first movie, so maybe he's just had a rough personal life.

Maybe he's smoking that blue meth. DeForest Kelley always looked kind of bug-eyed and he was tripping out when he traveled back in time to meet Joan Collins.

Drakkith said:
I believe it's just the way he is. I do remember him mentioning something about an ex-wife taking "everything but his bones" from him in the first movie, so maybe he's just had a rough personal life.
I think that's it. The "ex-wife taking everything but his bones" quote explains his whole temperament when he starts his Starfleet career, as well as explaining his nickname. He probably had a really nice life before he joined Starfleet, and he's now starting his life over. He doensnt have much of a character arc though compared to Spock and Kirk from 1st movie to the 2nd one. I mean he just stays pissed off.

Maybe he just doesn't like hanging around crazy people?

Likes Silicon Waffle
Drakkith said:
That was my take on it as well. I just figured he had a total crap storm through his life and felt that nothing good ever happens.

Likes Silicon Waffle
"Bones" is a pretty standard nickname for ship's doctor just as "sparks" is for the radio operator.
Though I don't remember anyone calling Uhura "sparks"!

HallsofIvy said:
"Bones" is a pretty standard nickname for ship's doctor just as "sparks" is for the radio operator.
Though I don't remember anyone calling Uhura "sparks"!
If you went down that rabbit hole, before you know it Spok would be "ears" and Kirk would be known as "pants".

1. Why is Dr McCoy always mad in the "Into Darkness" movie?

Dr McCoy, also known as "Bones", is a highly skilled and experienced medical officer in Starfleet. Throughout the movie, he is often seen expressing frustration and anger towards the situations and decisions made by his colleagues. This is likely due to his strong sense of duty and responsibility towards the well-being of his crewmates, which can sometimes lead to conflict and disagreement with others.

2. Does Dr McCoy have a specific reason for his anger?

While there may be specific instances that trigger Dr McCoy's anger, such as the death of a crewmate or disagreement with Kirk, it is ultimately a part of his character and personality. His strong emotions and quick temper are often balanced by his compassion and loyalty towards his friends.

3. Why does Dr McCoy seem to be the only one who is always angry?

While Dr McCoy's anger may be more noticeable due to his expressive nature, it is important to remember that the entire crew of the Enterprise is facing intense and dangerous situations throughout the movie. Each character copes with these challenges in their own way, and for Dr McCoy, it may manifest as anger.

4. Does Dr McCoy's anger affect his relationships with other crew members?

While Dr McCoy's anger may create tension and conflict at times, it does not seem to significantly impact his relationships with his colleagues. In fact, his strong emotions and passionate nature may actually strengthen his bonds with others, as they see his dedication and loyalty towards them.

5. Will Dr McCoy's anger be addressed in future Star Trek movies?

As a scientist, I cannot predict the future of the Star Trek franchise. However, it is likely that Dr McCoy's anger will continue to be a part of his character, as it adds depth and complexity to his personality. Any changes or developments in his behavior would likely be a result of his growth and experiences throughout the series.