Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is Dr McCoy always mad? (into darkness movie)

1. Jan 10, 2016 #1
    What is supposed to be the back story about why McCoy is always sort of pissed off all the time and kind of cynical in the movie? I get that hes based on another actor playing McCoy but does the character have some back-story that was in some episode or something, for being mad all the time? I have an uncle that's like Mccoy, not an MD , but he acts a lot like the Mccoy, always sort of pissed off at everyone even though everyone totally likes him. Is there some reason that McCoy is like this, or people in general?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2016 #2

jfizzix

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Jan 10, 2016 #3
    I will never hire these people to be my hotel receptionists or PR, communication related jobs.

5. Jan 10, 2016 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

It's a movie. He's a contrasting character (serious) to Kirk's character (sometimes seemingly scattered, sometimes flippant).

6. Jan 10, 2016 #5
    I'm rather irritable too. I don't know why.

7. Jan 11, 2016 #6

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I believe it's just the way he is. I do remember him mentioning something about an ex-wife taking "everything but his bones" from him in the first movie, so maybe he's just had a rough personal life.

8. Jan 14, 2016 #7
    Maybe he's smoking that blue meth. DeForest Kelley always looked kind of bug-eyed and he was tripping out when he traveled back in time to meet Joan Collins.

9. Jan 24, 2016 #8
    I think that's it. The "ex-wife taking everything but his bones" quote explains his whole temperament when he starts his Starfleet career, as well as explaining his nickname. He probably had a really nice life before he joined Starfleet, and he's now starting his life over. He doensnt have much of a character arc though compared to Spock and Kirk from 1st movie to the 2nd one. I mean he just stays pissed off.

10. Jan 24, 2016 #9

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Maybe he just doesn't like hanging around crazy people?

11. Feb 2, 2016 #10

DHF

That was my take on it as well. I just figured he had a total crap storm through his life and felt that nothing good ever happens.

12. Feb 3, 2016 #11

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"Bones" is a pretty standard nickname for ship's doctor just as "sparks" is for the radio operator.
    Though I don't remember any one calling Uhura "sparks"!

13. Feb 3, 2016 #12

DHF

If you went down that rabbit hole, before you know it Spok would be "ears" and Kirk would be known as "pants".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook