• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Why is grasshopper more adapted to dry land than crayfish?

• Thread starter Knight226
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Why is grasshopper more adapted to dry land than crayfish?

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to search up information about grasshopper and crayfish, but they are both very general information and not specific to the question that I have. I am assuming that it is because of the wings because crayfish does not have wings. Grasshopper does not have gill either instead grasshopper has spiracles. But regardless, I am unsure of my answers =/

Please help, thanks in advance.

Answers and Replies

turbo
Gold Member
Honestly, can you not see any physiological differences beyond those that you have thrown out there? You don't seem to be trying too hard to answer this one by yourself. I will help, but ONLY after you make an effort.

What do you mean by physiological differences? Is it body changes?

I am not good with biology... :/ My textbook emphasizes on the circulatory system, but they are both open circulatory system. The sites that I look up they have very general information and they aren't helping much.

I guess you are right. I am not trying my best effort... the only thing I can pick up is the crayfish have gills/ grasshopper has spiracles and the wing difference. Sigh :/ I am really bad with biology...

Thank you anyways. I will search up more and see if I can find more information.

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
The question itself needs better development. They are both (crawfish and grasshopper) crustaceans. They evolved from some common specie, probably from some ancestor organism which lived in water (I am also bad at Biology).

Borek
Mentor
They are both (crawfish and grasshopper) crustaceans.
No, they are both arthropods.

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The question itself needs better development. They are both (crawfish and grasshopper) crustaceans. They evolved from some common specie, probably from some ancestor organism which lived in water (I am also bad at Biology).
No, the crawfish is a crustacean but the grasshopper is an insect. As Borek said, they are both arthropods (any invertebrate having an exoskeleton).

turbo
Gold Member
What other differences? Just look at a picture of each and note the differences.

epenguin
Homework Helper
Gold Member
crayfish have gills/ grasshopper has spiracles and the wing difference. Sigh :/ I am really bad with biology...
Those are the organs for so called external respiration, now to get that oxygen to where it's needed there hav to be differences in the blood to reflect functionally the different oxygen environments, maybe you could find out about that.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
Knight: Is it possible you're overthinking the question?

There are some pretty major things that help grasshoppers live on land and crayfish live in water.
Gills, wings, swimming tail etc.