1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is grasshopper more adapted to dry land than crayfish?

1. May 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Why is grasshopper more adapted to dry land than crayfish?

2. Relevant equations
    None.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to search up information about grasshopper and crayfish, but they are both very general information and not specific to the question that I have. I am assuming that it is because of the wings because crayfish does not have wings. Grasshopper does not have gill either instead grasshopper has spiracles. But regardless, I am unsure of my answers =/

Please help, thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2009 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Honestly, can you not see any physiological differences beyond those that you have thrown out there? You don't seem to be trying too hard to answer this one by yourself. I will help, but ONLY after you make an effort.

4. May 24, 2009 #3
    What do you mean by physiological differences? Is it body changes?

I am not good with biology... :/ My textbook emphasizes on the circulatory system, but they are both open circulatory system. The sites that I look up they have very general information and they aren't helping much.

I guess you are right. I am not trying my best effort... the only thing I can pick up is the crayfish have gills/ grasshopper has spiracles and the wing difference. Sigh :/ I am really bad with biology...

Thank you anyways. I will search up more and see if I can find more information.

5. May 24, 2009 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

The question itself needs better development. They are both (crawfish and grasshopper) crustaceans. They evolved from some common specie, probably from some ancestor organism which lived in water (I am also bad at Biology).

6. May 25, 2009 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

No, they are both arthropods.

7. May 25, 2009 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, the crawfish is a crustacean but the grasshopper is an insect. As Borek said, they are both arthropods (any invertebrate having an exoskeleton).

8. May 25, 2009 #7

turbo

Gold Member

What other differences? Just look at a picture of each and note the differences.

9. May 27, 2009 #8

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Those are the organs for so called external respiration, now to get that oxygen to where it's needed there hav to be differences in the blood to reflect functionally the different oxygen environments, maybe you could find out about that.

10. May 27, 2009 #9

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Knight: Is it possible you're overthinking the question?

There are some pretty major things that help grasshoppers live on land and crayfish live in water.
    Gills, wings, swimming tail etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook