Why is it necessary to derive the given velocity

In summary, the student is struggling with understanding the equations used in their physics with calculus class and is seeking clarification on how to ask for help. They have a specific question about finding acceleration at a given time, but are having difficulty understanding the relationship between acceleration and velocity. They have also expressed frustration with their professor's teaching style and the resources provided for the course. The expert advises them to use the derivative of velocity to solve for acceleration at a given time and suggests seeking help from previous students of the professor.
Miliman13
<Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.>

1st time posting, be gentle.

Physics with calc 1

Im reviewing my exam which i did poorly on and can't understand why things are done, i have many questions but ill start with one, and since I am new maybe someone can tell me how to go about asking the other questions i have .

Question: an objects velocity is given V(t)=7.5t^2 +4
What is objects acceleration at time t=11so i understand the motions of equations how to reach one by integrating or deriving.
So far in lecture velocity was only ever given in terms of ex: 10m/s . so it caught me of guard seeing it this way.
i know how to solve, but i don't have the cognitive ability to understand WHY.

why can't i just plug in 11 for T and set equal to A

V(t)=V0+at a= v(t)-Vo/t ??

Thanks, calc, math isn't hard for me its the reading the short sentence and understandting how to apply the math and the logic behind it

Physics news on Phys.org
Miliman13 said:
V(t)=V0+at
This assumes that the acceleration is constant and is only applicable to that scenario. In the case you are given, acceleration is not constant.

Likes FactChecker and Miliman13
The equation given is for velocity, so you can plug in t=11 to get the velocity, but that will not give you the acceleration.

Do you know the relationship between acceleration and velocity in terms of the derivative? If you can get the equation for acceleration, then you can plug t=11 into that to get the acceleration at time t=11.

PS. Nice car.

Last edited:
Orodruin said:
This assumes that the acceleration is constant and is only applicable to that scenario. In the case you are given, acceleration is not constant.
Thank you. I kind of still don't understand...
my course gets a "custom version of physics"
The professor is very amendment about not teaching in the traditional sense... He believes his way is superior... And its difficult... because while the internet and other resources are very similar; his is not. So i spend a lot of time confused.

Miliman13 said:
Thank you. I kind of still don't understand...
my course gets a "custom version of physics"
The professor is very amendment about not teaching in the traditional sense... He believes his way is superior... And its difficult... because while the internet and other resources are very similar; his is not. So i spend a lot of time confused.
Velocity is the change in position as a function of time. What is acceleration in those terms?

phinds said:
Velocity is the change in position as a function of time. What is acceleration in those terms?
A(t)=A
So the derivative of V(t) is A(t).
How would it change if A= was constant
Could i simply solve for A with the velocity formula at that point..

Miliman13 said:
A(t)=A
So the derivative of V(t) is A(t).
How would it change if A= was constant
Could i simply solve for A with the velocity formula at that point..
How could you solve for acceleration using a velocity formula when, as you just recognized, acceleration is the DERIVATIVE of velocity?

phinds said:
How could you solve for acceleration using a velocity formula when, as you just recognized, acceleration is the DERIVATIVE of velocity?
right i get that.
But the velocity form has T in it.
So V(T)=V0 + at
i thought you could rewrite it so a= delta V/t

Its just this is done already to solve for 2 missing variables when you don't use the 3rd equation of motion.
You set A or T equal to something from V(t) and plug into x(t).
I wish i could better convey what i mean..

the best thing i could say is the last 6 weeks ( minus the hurricane closes )
Have gone over my head dramatically.
I don't understand the concept of ( constant , Non constant= given value)
I don't understand why things get zeroed out in the equations.
I don't understand why I am being forbidden from using the 3rd equation of motion...( everywhere )

I really wish the university had a better option than the lesser of two evils.
Seriously almost the whole university student body agrees , we need better physics educators.

My tutors are his previose students... they feel my pain.

The 'T' in your equation means time and the 't' in the given equation also means time. So forget about T and use t.

Your equation is only for the situation where acceleration is a constant number, a. That is often not true. This problem gives you the specific equation for velocity: V(t) = 7.5t2 + 4
Acceleration is always the derivative of velocity. Have you had calculus and know how to take the derivative of that equation? If so, do that and plug t=11 into the resulting equation.

What is the meaning of "deriving velocity" in a scientific context?

In science, deriving velocity refers to the process of calculating or determining the velocity of an object or particle. It involves using mathematical equations and principles to find the speed and direction of motion.

Why is it important to derive velocity instead of just measuring it directly?

Deriving velocity allows for a more accurate and precise measurement of an object's speed and direction. It takes into account factors such as acceleration, gravity, and other forces that may affect the object's motion.

What are some common methods for deriving velocity?

Some common methods for deriving velocity include using equations of motion, analyzing position-time graphs, and using the laws of kinematics. These methods can be applied to different types of motion, such as uniform motion, accelerated motion, and circular motion.

Can velocity be derived for any type of motion?

Yes, velocity can be derived for any type of motion as long as the necessary data, such as time, distance, and acceleration, is available. However, some types of motion may require more complex equations and calculations to derive the velocity.

What are some real-world applications of deriving velocity?

Deriving velocity has many practical applications, such as in the fields of engineering, physics, and sports. It is used to design and test vehicles and structures, understand the motion of celestial bodies, and improve athletic performance through analysis of movement and speed.