Why is it that the constant = 0?

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constant
In summary, in this conversation, the topic was finding a function f that satisfies F = ∇f and evaluating a line integral along a given curve. The solution manual suggested that the constant obtained when finding f was 0 and explained that this is because the derivative of the potential function must match the y component of the gradient. Some confusion arose when the student questioned why the constant could simply be taken as 0, and it was clarified that, since the problem only asked for one function, it was convenient to drop the constant. The student then expressed frustration with the problem and themselves for not understanding it.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

a) Find a function f such that F = ∇f

b) Evaluate the line integral along the given curve

[tex]\mathbf{F}(x,y) = <x^3 y^4 , x^4 y^3>[/tex]

C: [tex]\mathbf{r}(t) = <\sqrt{t}, 1 + t^3>[/tex] where [tex]t \in [0,1][/tex]

My question

I did everything else right, but my solution manual tells me that the constant i get when I find f is 0

Solutions
[PLAIN]http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/5149/unledoy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You probably differentiated wrong or something similar. All you do is take the derivative of the potential function after you have integrated it in terms of x. Then you see if this matches the y component of your gradient. If they are the same, then the constant is zero. If they are not the same, then you integrate with respect to y.

lineintegral1 said:
You probably differentiated wrong or something similar. All you do is take the derivative of the potential function after you have integrated it in terms of x. Then you see if this matches the y component of your gradient. If they are the same, then the constant is zero. If they are not the same, then you integrate with respect to y.

No they said

g'(y) = 0

g(y) = 0y + K

g(y) = K

I don't understand how you can just take K = 0

The problem says to "find a function f..."

All such functions are f(x, y) = (1/4)x4y4 + <some constant>

Since they're looking for just one, it's convenient to drop the constant.

Mark44 said:
The problem says to "find a function f..."

All such functions are f(x, y) = (1/4)x4y4 + <some constant>

Since they're looking for just one, it's convenient to drop the constant.

What?? What a stupid question (and stupid student i am...)

1. Why is the constant equal to 0?

The constant equals to 0 because it is a value that does not change and remains the same throughout an equation or experiment. It is used to represent a known or fixed quantity in a mathematical expression.

2. What is the significance of having a constant value of 0?

The significance of having a constant value of 0 is that it simplifies mathematical equations and makes them easier to solve. It also represents a state of equilibrium or balance in a system.

3. Can the constant ever be anything other than 0?

Yes, the constant can be a non-zero value in certain equations or experiments. It depends on the variables and factors involved in the specific situation. However, in many cases, using a constant of 0 can provide useful insights and simplify calculations.

4. How does a constant of 0 affect the outcome of an experiment?

A constant of 0 can affect the outcome of an experiment by either keeping the results constant or by cancelling out certain variables. It can also indicate that there is no relationship between two variables in the experiment.

5. Are there any real-life examples of a constant equaling 0?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of a constant equaling 0. For instance, the speed of light in a vacuum is a constant that equals 0. It also represents the freezing point of water at sea level. In economics, a 0% interest rate can be considered a constant for certain financial calculations.