Why is kinetic energy due to a planet's rotation treated as negative?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of the ratio of polar diameter to equatorial diameter for a typical neutron star. The question also asks about the understanding of why the gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy are of the same sign. The solution document provided explains that the rotation of the neutron star generates an effective potential and that the object at the equator has a higher gravitational potential compared to the object at the pole due to the rotation. Additionally, the document mentions an incorrect assumption about the gravitational potential for an oblate spheroid.
21joanna12

Homework Statement

I am trying to answer the following question:
  1. Among the animals that appear in the zoo of the Universe there are black holes and neutron stars. The mass of each of these is often the order of the mass of the Sun. The radius of a neutron star is about 10 km and a certain neutron star rotates at about 100π s-1.
    Calculate the ratio of the polar diameter to the equatorial diameter for a typical neutron star. Assume that liquid or solid neutron material is incompressible. How do we know that it is rotating at this frequency?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I was finding it ok, but there was just one part that I cannot understand. In the answers, when the surface of the neutron star was considered as an equipotential, the kinetic energy due to rotation of the star was treated as negative, in the same way as the gravitational potential energy. But surely it should be positive, because many space probes are launched from the equator because the kinetic energy due to rotation gives them some energy to start overcoming the gravitational potential energy, so less fuel is needed. So I don't understand why the gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy are of the same sign... My iPad is not allowing me to copy and paste the derivation here due to formatting, but I have attached the solutions document, and this is question 5 b)
http://www.physics.ox.ac.uk/olympiad/Downloads/PastPapers/BPhO_Round_2_Paper_2013_%20Solutions_selected_answers.pdf

Physics news on Phys.org
If you consider this in the rotating frame, the rotation generates an effective potential with a maximum at the rotation axis - you gain energy as you move outwards (along the direction of centrifugal force).
If you consider this in the non-rotating frame, moving an object from the pole to the equator should give zero energy difference to "use". You can gain some energy from the rotation of the object (exactly the same you can calculate in the rotating frame), so the object there has to reach a higher gravitational potential, otherwise you would gain energy.

By the way: the solution incorrectly assumes the gravitational potential stays GM/r for an oblate spheroid. This is not true. It is a good approximation for most objects, however.

1. What is kinetic energy due to a planet's rotation?

Kinetic energy due to a planet's rotation is the energy that a planet possesses due to its rotation on its axis. This energy is dependent on the planet's mass, radius, and angular velocity.

2. Why is kinetic energy due to a planet's rotation treated as negative?

This is due to the convention of assigning negative values to clockwise rotation and positive values to counterclockwise rotation. Since most planets in our solar system rotate counterclockwise, their kinetic energy due to rotation is considered negative.

3. How does the direction of rotation affect a planet's kinetic energy?

The direction of rotation does not affect the overall magnitude of a planet's kinetic energy. However, it does determine whether the kinetic energy is considered positive or negative.

4. Can a planet's kinetic energy due to rotation ever be positive?

Yes, if a planet rotates clockwise, its kinetic energy due to rotation will be positive. However, this is not the case for most planets in our solar system.

5. How is the kinetic energy due to a planet's rotation related to its angular momentum?

The kinetic energy due to a planet's rotation and its angular momentum are directly proportional. This means that an increase in one will result in an increase in the other, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the formula: KE = 1/2 * I * ω^2, where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular velocity.