Understanding Neutron Star Rotation: Calculating Kinetic Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a neutron star, its density and maximum frequency of rotation without losing mass at the equator. The solution to finding this maximum frequency involves balancing the gravitational and centrifugal forces, and the kinetic energy can also be calculated.
kennyadams1317
1. The problem statement & given/known data
A neutron star is a collection of neutrons bound together by their mutual gravitation. The density of such a star is comparable to that of an atomic nucleus (10^17 kg/m^3).

a) Assuming the neutron star to be spherical in shape and of uniform mass density, show that the maximum frequency with which it may rotate, without mass flying off at the equator, is ω=(4πρG/3)^1/2, where ρ is the mass density.

b)Calculate ω for ρ=10^17 kg/m^3.

c) Determine the kinetic energy of such a star about its axis of rotation. The radius of the star is 10km.

Homework Equations

& information[/B]
R=10km=10000m
ρ=10^17 kg/m^3
Vsphere=4/3πr^3
Isphere=2/5mr^2
M=Total Mass
m=mass of particle at surface
ω=vr
ω=(4πρG/3)^1/2
Fg=Gm1m2/r^2
Fc=mv^2/r
g=GM/r^2
G=6.67x10^(-11)
K=1/2Iω^2

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Solved
Particle at surface experience two force: Fc (Centrifugal Force) & Fg (Gravitational Force).
When the maximum angular velocity is reached, the two forces will be balanced (direction out & into center)
Fg=Fc
M=ρ(4/3πr^3)
v=ω/r
Fc=mv^2/r =m(ω/r)^2/r =mrω^2
Fg=GMm/r^2
⇒ Fg=Fc → GMm/r^2=mrω^2 → GM=r^3ω^2 → ω^2=GM/r^3
M=ρ(Vsphere)=4/3πr^3*p
⇒ Fg=Fc → ω^2=G(4/3πr^3*p)/r^3 → ω=(4/3πρG)^(1/2)

b) Solved
Alright. I spent at least an hour thinking about this problem and could not come up with the answer in the book. I couldn't stand the thought of leaving this thing unsolved, so I came here seeking help. Of course, now that I'm taking a fresh look at it, I figured out what I did wrong earlier! (I was thinking of G as the the force of gravity rather than the gravitational constant). Anyway, since I've gone to the trouble of solving this much, I might as well finish.
From (a): ω=(4/3πρG)^(1/2)
⇒ ω=(4.19*10^17*G)^(1/2) → ω=(4.19e17G)^(1/2)
G=6.67x10^(-11)
⇒ ω=(4.19x10^17(6.67x10^(-11))^(1/2) = 5.29x10^3 rad/s

c) Solved
K=1/2Iω^2 = 1/2*(2/5πr^2)*(5.29x10^3)^2 = 1/5π(10000^2)*(5.29x10^3)^2= 2.34x10^44 J

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Ken, welcome to PF

Well posted, well done. Fresh looks do wonders indeed.

1. What is a neutron star?

A neutron star is a celestial object that is created when a massive star explodes in a supernova. It is composed almost entirely of neutrons, which are subatomic particles that make up the nucleus of an atom.

2. How do neutron stars rotate?

Neutron stars rotate extremely rapidly due to the conservation of angular momentum during a supernova explosion. As the core of the star collapses, it spins faster and faster, resulting in a final rotation rate of up to 700 rotations per second.

3. How is kinetic energy calculated for a rotating neutron star?

The formula for calculating kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * I * w^2, where KE is kinetic energy, I is the moment of inertia, and w is the angular velocity. To calculate the moment of inertia for a rotating neutron star, scientists use models and simulations based on the star's mass and density distribution.

4. Why is understanding neutron star rotation important?

Studying the rotation of neutron stars can provide valuable insights into the fundamental physics of matter and extreme conditions in the universe. It can also help us better understand the formation and evolution of neutron stars and other celestial objects.

5. Are there any practical applications of understanding neutron star rotation?

While the study of neutron star rotation may not have direct practical applications, the technology and methods used in this research can be applied to other areas such as spacecraft navigation and precision engineering. Additionally, the study of neutron stars can also lead to advancements in our understanding of gravity and the nature of the universe.