Why is Maldacena's paper published in two journals?

In summary: I have not seen any of the earlier ones.Just the ones after 2000.In summary, the paper was published in two journals because it is a complete paper and not two parts of one work. The story behind the publication is not known, but it is interesting.
Demystifier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
The famous Maldacena's paper, the first paper on what is today called AdS/CFT correspondence, is published in two journals. It's not two parts of one work, it's one complete paper published twice. I presume that there is some interesting story behind it, but I don't know it. Does anybody know the story, why is it published in two journals?
https://inspirehep.net/literature/451647

Jokes, like the two journals are dual to each other, are also welcome, but I'm primarily interested in the true reason. :wink:

• Wow
  • Haha
Likes ohwilleke, atyy, russ_watters and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you asked Juan?

I am amused that one of them wants $39.95 to read the article, and the other gives it away for free,

Likes ohwilleke, vanhees71, Twigg and 1 other person
Vanadium 50 said:
Have you asked Juan?
No, I presume that he does not have time to answer trivial questions asked by unknown mortals. :oldbiggrin:

Likes ohwilleke
I dunno...I first "met" him when I cold-called him to get him to serve on a committee. Which he did.

Likes ohwilleke, vanhees71 and Demystifier
Vanadium 50 said:
I dunno...I first "met" him when I cold-called him to get him to serve on a committee. Which he did.
But you are neither unknown nor mortal. Just sayin' :smile:

• Haha
Likes ohwilleke, Twigg, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person
berkeman said:
And his request was not trivial.

Likes ohwilleke and berkeman
There is a paradox that asking someone for a lot of help is more likely to generate a positive response than asking them for a little.

Likes ohwilleke and Demystifier
When looking at contemporary issues of Adv.Theor.Math.Phys I see a number of papers by Ed Witten. There may be some history behind this unusual double-publication.

Likes ohwilleke
Demystifier said:
Jokes, like the two journals are dual to each other, are also welcome...:wink:
It's spelled d-u-e-l. :wink:

• Haha
Likes PhDeezNutz, ohwilleke and berkeman
berkeman said:
Now i am curious who Vanadium is!

Likes Demystifier
I could tell you, but, well, you know...

• Haha
Likes ohwilleke
LCSphysicist said:
Now i am curious who Vanadium is!
Are you familiar with the Batman movies?

• Haha
Likes PhDeezNutz and ohwilleke
berkeman said:
Are you familiar with the Batman movies?
Just the ones after 2000

Likes ohwilleke

1. Why was Maldacena's paper published in two journals?

Maldacena's paper, titled "The Large N Limit of Superconformal Field Theories and Supergravity," was published in both Advances in Theoretical and Mathematical Physics and International Journal of Theoretical Physics. This was because the paper was highly influential and groundbreaking in the field of theoretical physics, and the editors of both journals wanted to ensure that it reached a wide audience.

2. Is it common for a paper to be published in multiple journals?

No, it is not common for a paper to be published in multiple journals. In fact, it is quite rare for a paper to be accepted for publication in more than one journal. However, in some cases, particularly for highly significant or groundbreaking research, multiple journals may agree to publish the paper in order to increase its visibility and impact.

3. Did Maldacena have to pay extra to have his paper published in two journals?

No, Maldacena did not have to pay any extra fees to have his paper published in two journals. In most cases, authors do not have to pay any fees to have their papers published in academic journals. The costs of publishing are typically covered by the journals themselves or through funding from institutions or grants.

4. Did Maldacena have to make any changes to his paper for each journal?

Yes, Maldacena had to make some changes to his paper for each journal. This is because each journal has its own specific formatting and style guidelines, and Maldacena likely had to adapt his paper to fit these guidelines for each journal. However, the content and main ideas of the paper remained the same.

5. How did the publication of Maldacena's paper in two journals impact the field of theoretical physics?

The publication of Maldacena's paper in two journals had a significant impact on the field of theoretical physics. The paper introduced the concept of the AdS/CFT correspondence, which has had a major influence on research in theoretical physics and has been widely studied and applied in various areas of physics. The publication of the paper in two journals helped to increase its visibility and reach a wider audience, leading to further developments and advancements in the field.