Law of Conservation of Energy Problem (kicking a soccer ball)

In summary: E.g., what if the angle were zero?for b) your approach and equation is correct(I haven't checked your exact arithmetic though). Since we are interested in the speed of the ball (magnitude of velocity) we can just use conservation of energy.for a) you say that ##\frac{1}{2}mv^2=mgh## however this equation is missing something. At the highest point of the trajectory, doesn't the ball still have some kinetic energy? How much is this kinetic energy at the highest point ? If you answer correctly you ll see why the angle matters.I got v = 26m/s
orangegalaxies
Homework Statement
A soccer player kicks the ball in a parabolic arc to the opposite goal. The ball leaves the player’s foot at a speed of 27m/s, making an angle of 20 degrees above the horizontal. The mass of the ball is 0.43kg.

a. Determine the maximum height of the ball’s trajectory.
b. Determine the speed of the ball 3.5 m above the ground.
Relevant Equations
Ek = 1/2(m)v^2
Eg = mgh
a) So far, I have equated Ek to Eg to solve for h. 1/2(m)(27)^2 = m(9.8)h. I haven't taken the angle into consideration. I'm not sure if I have to use the x or y component. I got my answer to be 37m but again I don't believe this is correct.

b) I did Ek = Eg + Ek. 1/2(m)(27)^2 = m(9.8)(3.5) + 1/2(m)(v^2). I got v = 26m/s but I don't know if this is the right way to do it since I didn't use the angle again.

Physics news on Phys.org
orangegalaxies said:
a) So far, I have equated Ek to Eg to solve for h. 1/2(m)(27)^2 = m(9.8)h. I haven't taken the angle into consideration. I'm not sure if I have to use the x or y component. I got my answer to be 37m but again I don't believe this is correct.

b) I did Ek = Eg + Ek. 1/2(m)(27)^2 = m(9.8)(3.5) + 1/2(m)(v^2). I got v = 26m/s but I don't know if this is the right way to do it since I didn't use the angle again.
For a) don't you think the angle is important?

For b) you could check your answer using components if you're really not sure.

PeroK said:
For a) don't you think the angle is important?
E.g., what if the angle were zero?

for b) your approach and equation is correct(I haven't checked your exact arithmetic though). Since we are interested in the speed of the ball (magnitude of velocity) we can just use conservation of energy.

for a) you say that ##\frac{1}{2}mv^2=mgh## however this equation is missing something. At the highest point of the trajectory, doesn't the ball still have some kinetic energy? How much is this kinetic energy at the highest point ? If you answer correctly you ll see why the angle matters.

orangegalaxies said:
I got v = 26m/s
Since you are only given the initial speed to two sig figs, you are right to round it to 26, but it's a bit unsatisfactory because that makes it look as though the loss of speed is 1m/s, whereas it is about 1.3m/s. Had I set the question I would have said the initial speed was 27.0m/s.

Likes PeroK

1. What is the Law of Conservation of Energy?

The Law of Conservation of Energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred from one form to another. In other words, the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

2. How does the Law of Conservation of Energy apply to kicking a soccer ball?

When you kick a soccer ball, your foot applies a force to the ball, causing it to move and gain kinetic energy. This kinetic energy is the result of the conversion of the potential energy stored in your muscles into mechanical energy. The ball will continue to move until it hits another object or the ground, where some of its kinetic energy will be transferred into other forms, such as sound and heat.

3. Is the Law of Conservation of Energy always applicable?

Yes, the Law of Conservation of Energy is a fundamental principle of physics and applies to all physical processes, including kicking a soccer ball. However, in some cases, it may seem like energy is being created or destroyed, but in reality, it is just being transferred to a different form.

4. Can the Law of Conservation of Energy be violated?

No, the Law of Conservation of Energy has been extensively tested and has been found to hold true in all observed physical phenomena. It is a fundamental law of nature and cannot be violated.

5. How can the Law of Conservation of Energy be used to solve problems involving kicking a soccer ball?

The Law of Conservation of Energy can be used to determine the initial kinetic energy of the ball based on the force applied by the kicker and the distance the ball travels. It can also be used to calculate the final velocity of the ball after it has been kicked, taking into account the energy lost due to friction and air resistance.