Why Is My Answer Wrong (trig integral)

• Thread starter moe darklight
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, we discussed a trigonometric integral involving tanx and secx and how to solve it using substitution. We also addressed some potential mistakes and the importance of including a constant in the final answer.
moe darklight
agh, trig integrals are driving me nuts.

Homework Statement

the integral of

tanx sec^4x dx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

tanx sec^4x dx
= sec^3 tanx secx dx

u = secx
du = tanx secx dx

so,
= u^3 du
= (u/4)^4
= (1/4)sec^4x

Physics news on Phys.org
The final result looks good to me. You did make a mistake in an intermediate step, however; you should have had u^4/4, rather than (u/4)^4.

What makes you think your answer is wrong?

Yes, your final answer should be sec^4x/4, but you forgot one thing: +C. This is important.

O, ok. The book substitutes u = tanx to get (1/4)tan^4x + (1/2)tan^2x + C, and that got me confused.

Thanks

Just the same, since sec^2x=1+tan^2x

The way I would have done this would have been to convert immediately to sine and cosine (I get so confused with those other trig functions!): tan(x) sec^4(x)= sin(x)/cos^5(x)[/itex] and then the substitution u= cos(x), du = -sin(x) dx gives the integral
[tex]-\int du/u^5= -\int u^{-5}du= (1/4)u^{-4}+ C= (1/4)cos^{-4}(x)+ C= (1/4)sec^4(x)+ C[/itex]
again, "just the same".

1. Why am I getting a different answer for my trigonometric integral than what the textbook or calculator is giving me?

There are a few possible reasons for this. One possibility is that there was a mistake in your calculations or in copying the problem. Another possibility is that your textbook or calculator is using a different method or formula to solve the integral. It is also possible that the integral is a difficult or complex one, and small errors in calculation can result in significantly different answers.

2. I checked my work multiple times and still can't find the mistake, what should I do?

If you are confident that there is no mistake in your calculations, it may be helpful to check with your teacher or a classmate to see if they can spot any errors. It is also a good idea to double check the formula or method you are using to solve the integral, as using an incorrect formula can lead to incorrect answers.

3. I tried using different methods to solve the integral, but my answer is still wrong. What should I do?

If you have tried multiple methods and are still getting the wrong answer, it could be helpful to look for online resources or ask a tutor for help. Sometimes, a fresh perspective or explanation can clarify any confusion and help you understand where you went wrong.

4. Is it possible for an integral to have multiple correct answers?

Yes, it is possible for an integral to have multiple correct answers. This can happen when the integral has trigonometric functions with multiple solutions, or when there are multiple ways to simplify the final answer. In these cases, it is important to check with your teacher or textbook to see which answer they are looking for.

5. How can I avoid making mistakes when solving trigonometric integrals?

One way to avoid mistakes is to practice, practice, practice! The more you solve these types of integrals, the more familiar you will become with the formulas and methods used to solve them. Also, be sure to double check your work and use a calculator or online tool to check your answer. And if you are still unsure, don't hesitate to ask for help from a teacher or tutor.