Why Is My Calculation of the Antiderivative for sqrt(20-x) Incorrect?

  • Thread starter Thread starter hekoshi
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
hekoshi
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I can't seem to get this antiderivitive correct: sqrt(20-x) from 0 to 20.

I end up with -(2/3)(sqrt(20-x)^(3/2) which is zero evaluated at either of the two limits.

This is not correct since the area below the curve of the original equation is definitely not 0.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You shouldn't have sqrt in your answer since that's already accounted for in the 3/2 exponent. Also, the antiderivative functionis not zero for x = 0. Check it again.
 
Yes and also it is not zero at both the limits; it should work out now.
 
oops, i meant to write -(2/3)(20-x)^(3/2), but yeah, i didn't evaluate it correctly the first time. It should be:

F(b)-F(a)=-(2/3)(20-20)^(3/2)-(-(2/3)(20-0)^(3/2))

*Facepalm* I blame it on lack of sleep, haha.

thanks.