Why Is My Calculation of the Electric Field at Point P Incorrect?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
J6204
Messages
56
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


A uniform circular ring of charge Q=4.20 microCoulombs and radius R=1.30 cm is located in the x-y plane, centered on the origin as shown in the figure.

What is the magnitude of the electric field E at point P, located at z=3.70 cm?

I have worked out the problem and got the following formula which I know is correct but when I enter in my numbers it doesn't seem to give me the correct answer, so I'm wondering what I am doing wrong (see below)

E_z = (kQx)/((x^2+R^2)^(3/2))

where k=9x10^9, Q = 4.2*10^-6, x= 0.0130, and R = 0.0370.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


I have worked out the problem and got the following formula which I know is correct but when I enter in my numbers it doesn't seem to give me the correct answer, so I'm wondering what I am doing wrong (see below)

E_z = (kQx)/((x^2+R^2)^(3/2))

where k=9x10^9, Q = 4.2*10^-6, x= 0.0130, and z = 0.0370.

So what am I doing wrong? are my numbers above correct?
****.jpg
****.jpg


2.316×10^7 N/C
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you swapped constants. This could be avoided if you restated the equation as

E_z = (kQz)/((z^2+R^2)^(3/2))

R = .0130 m
z = .0370 m
...
 
rcgldr said:
Looks like you swapped constants. This could be avoided if you restated the equation as

E_z = (kQz)/((z^2+R^2)^(3/2))

R = .0130 m
z = .0370 m
...
thanks that fixed my problem!(