Why is my rotational mechanics homework solution not matching the given choices?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sarah00
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mechanics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
Sarah00
Messages
64
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


screenshot_47.png


Homework Equations


Net Torque = Moment of Inertia * Angular Acceleration
Net Force = Mass * Acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution


I first applied the first formula on the pulley, I found out that Tension Force = Acceleration
Then, I used Newton's second law on m1 which gave me: 120 - T = 12a ---> 120 - a = 12a ---> 13a =120 ---> a = 9.2

Which is not on the choices,,
any help please
thank you
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Sarah00 said:
I first applied the first formula on the pulley, I found out that Tension Force = Acceleration
What did you do here ? How is force of tension equal to acceleration ?

Hint : Is tension on both sides of the pulley the same ? Why / Why not ?
Also , your solution will require three equations .

Hope this helps .