Okay so I am having this problem with a transistor overheating in a motor control circuit and I am not exactly sure why it is overheating. There is a PWM signal being used to power the transistor from an MSP430 microcontroller. I am using a standard 1N004 kickback diode for the motor and an external power source that does not go above 5V or 3A for the purpose it's being used. This is the datasheet for the motor I am using go to the RE-380 model for specs. http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/0032/0900766b800320a6.pdf The transistor that is overheating is a TIP3055 apparently rated to way more than what we should be needing, the datasheet is here too, we are using the NPN: http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/0c65/0900766b80c65646.pdf And here is a basic picture of the circuit I am trying to implement: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dj5gnzo1aagnv66/20160409_213437.jpg?dl=0 It shouldn't be this difficult, I have literally tried everything!