Why is our moon exactly half when half?

• Thread starter rogerk8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moon
In summary, the conversation discusses the appearance of the moon at different phases and the factors that contribute to it. It is explained that the moon appears half full because it is lit from the side by the sun, not because of the Earth's shadow. The Earth's axis is also mentioned, along with the fact that the moon's orbit is not in the same plane as the Earth's orbit around the sun. There is also mention of the changing positions and inclinations of these orbits, and the difficulty in calculating the exact shapes of the moon at different phases without using models or complex mathematical calculations.
technician said:
To show the scale of things it is worth making a model of the Sun, Earth, Moon system
The Sun is about 100x the diameter of the Earth so if you have a cardboard disc 100cm dia the Earth would be a disc about 1cm dia (a typical coin?). The Moon is about 1/3 the dia of the Earth so a 3mm disc (a small pea?)
Take this lot outside, place the Sun disc 100m away..place the moon disc about 25cm away...this set up is a fair scale representation of the Earth, Moon, Sun.
If you are involved in education this is a great demonstration for kids to see and to get a feeling for the distances involved.

Thank you technician, this was very fun to know!

I am however right now primarily interested in the Solar Eclipse phenomenon.

I have studied the nice picture supplied by DrGreg and did not get it for quite some time.

But now I think I finally get it!

A question does however come to mind.

Has the shadow on Earth the same area everytime a Solar Eclipse occur?

Or is the Lunar Orbit also elliptic?

Because the picture shows everything between a total eclipse to an anular eclipse.

These phenomenon clearly depends, among other things, on Earth to Moon distance (LU).

And I'm still waiting for critics regarding my calculated fact that the LU is too large for generating a total eclipse/moving shadow on the Earth.

There could only be an anular eclipse in my book.

But perhaps there never is "total darkness" while there is a Solar Eclipse?

Perhaps our Solar Eclipses are "just" anular?

Roger

Physics news on Phys.org
cjl said:
Not true at all - there are anywhere from two to five solar eclipses per year. Actually, from what I can find with some quick googling, it looks like solar eclipses may in fact be more frequent than lunar eclipses, though I would have to stare at the geometry for a while to figure out why that may be (I don't know off the top of my head).

you DIDNT read what I said !

TOTAL ECLIPSES

I stand by what I wrote

Dave

Roger this diagram of total and annular eclipses over a 20 yr period
will give you a good idea of the area of the Earth's surface covered in each

attachment.php?attachmentid=61045&stc=1&d=1377039358.gif

cheers
Dave

Attachments

• Central_eclipses_2001-2020.GIF
    Central_eclipses_2001-2020.GIF
    86.8 KB · Views: 461
But perhaps there never is "total darkness" while there is a Solar Eclipse?

it gets pretty dark, lots of stars become visible, the birds are all going to roost.
You could equate it to a deep twilight. Being in the shadow of totality is awesome, something I never tire of

You will see a total eclipse passing over the USA from NW to SE in August 2017 ... that's my next planned
shadow seeking trip :smile:

Perhaps our Solar Eclipses are "just" annular?

no, an annular eclipse has a very specific meaning... the sun isn't fully covered by the moon
and you get an annulus ( ring) of sun visible around the edge of the moonDave