Why is phi pronounced 'phee' but pi is pronounced 'pie'?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter gnome
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 6K views
gnome
Messages
1,031
Reaction score
1
"phy" or "phee"?

My physics prof. pronounces φ as "phee" (rhymes with we).

We call Π "pie", not "pee".
We call Χ "ky", not "kee" (I think).

So what's up with phee?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ACTUALLY I thought about it for a second, in Europe it would be ee! So I guess it should be pronounced that way, not the American way
 
In Dutch I say pee, sampee, phee, chee, psee (pronounced that the american way)

pronounciation is kinda confusing across languages, I for instance have a very hard time writing down a spelled (dictated) word, because the sounds are the same, but the letters are different:

En=Du
a = e
e = i
i = y
o = o
u = oe

I guess either your professor is European or he likes to pronounce greek words the greek way :P
 
In my experience, for what it's worth"

pi, chi, psi all rhyme with "I".

I have heard phi both ways.

xi only rhymed with "we".

Of course, I could only have heard from people mispronouncing them. Anyone fluent in Greek?

Njorl
 
I believe he letter can be pronounced "phy" when used alone, but must be pronounced "phee" when it follows a vowel, like alpha. In almost all uses, "phee" is preferred.

Some other letters that people often mispronounce are xi (pronounced "ksi"), psi (pronounced as in lips).

- Warren
 
In greek it's phee. If you study greek you have to get out of the habit of saying fie, pie, and so on.