Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phi is pronounced fi in America, not fee

1. Mar 8, 2008 #1
    Phi is pronounced fi in America, not fee!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill_Smith is Online:

Fi, not Fee!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Okay people, here is the logic behind phi. Yes, in Greece you would pronounce the letter phi as fee. If you lived in Mexico you would pronounce the letter x as eck-ees. In America we pronounce the letter x as ecks. So, we have learned that the same symbol can have different pronunciations in different parts of the world. If you pronounce phi as fee (like an uninformed idiot who arbitrarily mixes pronunciations from different languages), then logic suggests that you should hold to that convention and pronounce pi as pee, and chi as key. Because we already have a letter in English that is pronounced pee (the letter p), it would be confusing to hear someone describe the area of a circle as pee are squared. Therefore, intelligent people say pie are squared. So the next time you hear some idiot (who is trying to be different) say fee instead of fi, please correct them and use these reasons as your logic. This problem usually originates with math professors, so don't be afraid to call them out in class. Maybe for f(x) we should start saying eff of eck-ees instead of eff of ecks to show the fee people that we are more cultured than them. PLEASE STOP SOUNDING LIKE A LOSER BY SAYING FEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2008 #2
    Wow, I foresee a thread lock or even an account banning in your future. This forum entitles everyone to their own thoughts and beliefs...

4. Mar 9, 2008 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Just calm down and have yourself a nice, cold dos eckses

Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
  5. Mar 9, 2008 #4
    :surprised

Knowledge, logic and concepts are more important than pronunciation. :wink:

6. Mar 9, 2008 #5
    Who wants to bet this guy is a freshman?

7. Mar 9, 2008 #6
    Really? [itex]\rho[/itex] is pronounce pie, and not pee?

8. Mar 9, 2008 #7
  9. Mar 9, 2008 #8
    Lay off the caffeine methinks. :tongue2:

Did you know that caveat emptor (buyer beware) is pronounced caweat emptor, always gives me an the chaps a good guffaw when someone mispronounces it, plebians eh? :rolleyes:

10. Mar 9, 2008 #9

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[itex]\rho[/itex] is pronounced rho and not ree!

:smile: … it's all greek to me! … :smile:

11. Mar 9, 2008 #10

Air

12. Mar 9, 2008 #11

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If this were my only concern...worrying about whether or not a kid likes the way I talk!

13. Mar 9, 2008 #12
    You dont have to "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"...lol.. Calm down.:smile:

14. Mar 9, 2008 #13
    Correct!

15. Mar 9, 2008 #14
    Bill Smith clearly is not familiar with the real cause of this, the classic American song:
    “Phi, phi Miss American Pie
    Drove my Chevy to the levy
    but the levy was dry…”
    The pronunciation is just a matter of patriotism, don'cha know.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
  16. Mar 9, 2008 #15
    "pie are squared"????

Look, I've eaten pie for years, and most of them were circular. Except those ones you get in convenience stores, and they're kind of rectangular ....

But, since I studied Classical Greek in college, I say "fee", "kee", "psee", and yes, occasionally "pee". Label me "loser"! fee fie foe fum to you!

17. Mar 9, 2008 #16
    And by the way, "eck-ees", as in Dos Equis, XX, is the plural. And it's also damned tasty -- in the amber, anyway.

18. Mar 9, 2008 #17

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is that the one that continues …
    “Theta'll be the day that I die…”?​

I never understood that … :confused:

19. Mar 9, 2008 #18
    Hoorah!!!

20. Mar 9, 2008 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Unless you were pronouncing it as part of the Spanish alphabet. There is no phi in the English alphabet, that's why we call it a Greek letter.

Nope, chi isn't pronounced "key", it's pronounced "clear your throat of phlegm-ee".

If you are writing down pi, and understand what it represents, there is no confusion.

Not really. Most recognize that pies are round. Intelligent people don't go off injecting the formula for the circumference of circle into casual conversation.

I see no logic in your argument. Since all the other Greek letters are generally pronounced correctly (unless you're hanging around the frat houses), you should be arguing for pi to be pronounced pee, though as you pointed out, it's an exception made for clarity. Intelligent people realize that Greek letters are pronounced with Greek pronunciation, while English letters are pronounced with English pronunciation (by the way, if you think no exceptions should be made, then you better start calling z "zed" instead of "zee").

Maybe you should spend more time paying attention to the math lesson rather than your professor's pronunciation. Then again, if you start interrupting the lesson to complain about pronunciation, I'm sure your classmates will just love you. :rolleyes:

:rofl: I have no idea what set you off on this rant, but I can assure you it does not make you sound more cultured. Sorry, but mispronunciation of Greek letters belongs in the frat houses with massive beer consumption, it doesn't fit with an educated classroom setting.

21. Mar 9, 2008 #20

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I know at least a few that do, but they generally say "Too are pie."

Some of the less intelligent say "Dee pie".

Not that the last is incorrect. It just it invokes a response of "Doh, pee!"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?