Why is diffraction most pronounced for objects on the order of the wavelength?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
lionelwang
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
Hello!
Recently, I'm always thinking about why diffraction effects are generally most pronounced for the size of the diffracting objectsis that is on the order of the wavelength. How about a relatively bigger object?

I try to find it everywhere I can but failed. So anyone can help? Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
lionelwang said:
Hello!
Recently, I'm always thinking about why diffraction effects are generally most pronounced for the size of the diffracting objectsis that is on the order of the wavelength. How about a relatively bigger object?

I try to find it everywhere I can but failed. So anyone can help? Thanks!

Can you explain a bit more? what kind of objects are you talking about?
 
such as bending of waves around small obstacles and the spreading out of waves past small openings.
A famous example:single-slit diffraction. If the slit is pretty large, then I guess there is no abvious diffaction.
 
lionelwang said:
Hello!
Recently, I'm always thinking about why diffraction effects are generally most pronounced for the size of the diffracting objectsis that is on the order of the wavelength. How about a relatively bigger object?

I try to find it everywhere I can but failed. So anyone can help? Thanks!

The wave propagation of light is parameterized in terms of a specific length scale (the wavelength). That means the problem is in terms of ratios: wavelength/distance, for example. If wavelength/distance <<1, the appropriate diffraction term is small, while if wavelength/distance >>1, it's large. Note that 'distance' can be propagation distance, the size of a scattering object, or aperture diameter...

Does that help?
 
Andy Resnick said:
The wave propagation of light is parameterized in terms of a specific length scale (the wavelength). That means the problem is in terms of ratios: wavelength/distance, for example. If wavelength/distance <<1, the appropriate diffraction term is small, while if wavelength/distance >>1, it's large. Note that 'distance' can be propagation distance, the size of a scattering object, or aperture diameter...

Does that help?

I think you are right, thank you very much!