Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is potential energy negative?

1. Oct 20, 2013 #1
    Total energy is [itex]\frac{1}{2}mv^{2}-mgh=C[/itex] for a classical non-rotating object right? C can be determined based on an arbitrary initial condition that suits the problem, right? How come it's not [itex]\frac{1}{2}mv^{2}+mgh=C[/itex]? This seems like a more suitable definition of "total" energy. I'm sure there's a reason it's minus and not plus, but what is the reason? o_O

[edit]
    Does it have something to do with the direction of the conservative force field that the object is in?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

It just depends on the definition of h. If h is upwards, it is +mgh, otherwise it is -mgh.

4. Oct 20, 2013 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

According to who? That's not what I see in the textbooks that I've used, which all have a + sign, and define h as increasing in the upwards direction.

5. Oct 20, 2013 #4
    If you have taken the surface of the earth as the reference point for your potential energy, then the potential energy of a body of mass m at a height h (small compared to earth's radius) is mgh. It is a positive quantity with respect to the reference point. The total energy in such a case is [itex]\frac{1}{2}mv^{2}+mgh[/itex]. The Lagrangian can be [itex]\frac{1}{2}mv^{2}-mgh=L[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook