Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is space-time 3+1 dimensional?

1. Feb 2, 2006 #1
    "Why is our space-time 3+1 dimensional?"
    The question had been raised by Kant and Hegel for more than 100 years

Could there be any possibility of "simple explaination" within the framework of Relativity or Quantum Theory:shy:
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It seems to me that both Relativity and Quantum Theory are dimensionally-independent theories of nature. So, I think the answer to your question is no.

[Pardon the following sentence... after finally writing it down, it sounds a little playful.] Dimensionality seems to appear in the relationship among the choice of underlying spaces (the "arena"), the choice of fields (the "players"), and the choice of equations, boundary conditions, and additional requirements [like stability, nontriviality, etc] (their "rules") imposed upon them.

One of the most popular examples is the role of dimensionality in Huygens' Principle. Another is the stability of orbits. These appear in:

P. Ehrenfest, “In what way does it become manifest in the fundamental laws of physics that space has three dimensions?” Kon. Akad. Wetens. Amsterdam. Proc. Sec. Sci. 20 (1918), 200–209; reprinted in Collected Scientific Papers, ed. Martin J. Klein (Amsterdam: North-Holland, 1959), pp. 400–409.

See also my posts in

There have been some interesting studies, like
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?