Is Bulb A Brighter in a Parallel Circuit Due to Potential Difference?

• Thread starter rokunanto
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits
In summary, the conversation is about a parallel circuit with two identical light bulbs and identical ideal batteries. The question is regarding the potential difference and current flow in the circuit. The first person is unsure about the brightness of bulb A compared to bulb B and wonders if the lack of a resistor in bulb A affects its potential flow. The second person is also unsure about the relationship between the brightness of the bulbs and the potential difference of the batteries. The figure accompanying the problem shows that the bulb with the highest potential difference will be the brightest. The conversation also mentions Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, which may be relevant to understanding the current flow in the circuit.
rokunanto
Homework Statement
When the switch is closed, is the brightness of bulb A greater than, less than, or equal to the brightness of bulb B? Why?

When the switch is closed, is the current through battery X greater than, less than, or equal to the current through battery Y? Why?
Relevant Equations
I do not know the equations.
As demonstrated by the figure, bulb A and bulb are in a parallel circuit whose batteries are ideal and identical. I am asking for assistance to see where I am going wrong in my approach and how to better understand and figure out the question!

1. If the switch was closed, the brightness of bulb A would be less than the brightness of bulb B due to the potential difference as a result of the pathway. However, I do not know if this is correct or if there was another reason. I was thinking that because A does not have a resistor that it would have potential flowing more freely.

2. I am not sure about this question, but I am assuming that it bulb A is less bright than bulb b, that would mean that battery X is generating a greater than battery Y. THIS IS THE FIGURE FOR THE PROBLEM. (The lightbulbs are identical, and the batteries are ideal and identical.)

1646599631882.png

Physics news on Phys.org
The bulb with the highest potential difference will be the brightest. Can you identify the potential differences between each component?

Once you found the potential differences, what does Ohm's law say about the current going through the resistances?

Resistances ? Don't see no resistances ... :smile:

Not needed. Identical batteries, identical bulbs. Throw switch.

Have you been taught Kirchhoff's Voltage Law? If so what does it say?

1. How does a circuit work?

A circuit is a closed loop that allows electricity to flow through it. It consists of a power source, conductive wires, and a load (such as a lightbulb). When the power source is connected to the circuit, electrons flow from the negative terminal of the power source, through the wires, and into the load. The load uses the energy from the electrons to light up or perform a specific task.

2. What is the difference between a series and parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, the components are connected in a single path, meaning the current flows through each component in order. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple paths, meaning the current is divided between the components. This means that if one component in a series circuit fails, the entire circuit will stop working, whereas in a parallel circuit, the other components will still function.

3. How does a lightbulb produce light?

A lightbulb contains a thin wire called a filament that is connected to an electrical circuit. When electricity flows through the filament, it heats up and becomes so hot that it glows, producing light. The type of material used for the filament and the amount of electricity flowing through it determine the color and brightness of the light produced.

4. Why do lightbulbs burn out?

Lightbulbs have a limited lifespan because the filament inside them eventually breaks due to the high temperatures it is subjected to. The more often a lightbulb is turned on and off, the shorter its lifespan will be. Other factors such as voltage fluctuations and manufacturing defects can also contribute to lightbulb burnout.

5. How does a dimmer switch work with a lightbulb?

A dimmer switch works by controlling the amount of electricity flowing to the lightbulb. When the switch is turned, it adjusts the resistance in the circuit, which in turn affects the amount of current flowing through the circuit. This allows for the lightbulb to be dimmed or brightened depending on the desired level of light.