Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is the cross product perpendicular?

1. Feb 19, 2013 #1
    Why is the cross product of two vectors perpendicular to the plane the two vectors lie on?

I am aware that you can prove this by showing that:

[itex](\vec{a}\times\vec{b})\cdot\vec{a} = (\vec{a}\times\vec{b})\cdot\vec{b} = 0[/itex]

Surely it was not defined as this and worked backwards though. I see little advantage in making this definition, and simply guessing it seems a bit random, so what brings it about?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2013 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What is your definition of the cross product?

4. Feb 20, 2013 #3
    By the matrix definition of the cross product we have
    [itex] \vec{a}\times \vec{b} \cdot \vec{c}
    = \begin{vmatrix} \vec{i} & \vec{j} & \vec{k} \\ a_i & a_j & a_k \\ b_i & b_j & b_k \end{vmatrix} \cdot \vec{c}
    = (\vec{i} \begin{vmatrix} a_j & a_k \\ b_j & b_k \end{vmatrix} -\vec{j} \begin{vmatrix} a_i & a_k \\ b_i & b_k \end{vmatrix} + \vec{k} \begin{vmatrix} a_i & a_j \\ b_i & b_j \end{vmatrix} ) \cdot \vec{c} \\
    = (c_i \begin{vmatrix} a_j & a_k \\ b_j & b_k \end{vmatrix} -c_j \begin{vmatrix} a_i & a_k \\ b_i & b_k \end{vmatrix} + c_k \begin{vmatrix} a_i & a_j \\ b_i & b_j \end{vmatrix} )
    = \begin{vmatrix} c_i & c_j & c_k \\ a_i & a_j & a_k \\ b_i & b_j & b_k \end{vmatrix} [/itex].

When [itex] \vec{c} = \vec{a} [/itex] or [itex] \vec{c} = \vec{b} [/itex] the determinant has two equal rows and becomes zero. This means the dot product is zero and the vectors are perpendicular.

5. Feb 21, 2013 #4

lurflurf

Homework Helper

The cross product is the (up to multiplication by a constant) only product possible that takes two vectors to a third. It is also extremely useful to produce a vector perpendicular to two given vectors. All the time you have two vectors and need one perpendicular to them. Bam! Cross product done.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook