Why is the derivative of sin x / x at x=0 1?

In summary: L'Hopital's rule is useful because it provides a method for evaluating limit expressions with indeterminate forms (such as 0/0 and ∞/∞) without having to use more advanced techniques such as series expansions or integration. It can also be applied multiple times in a row to solve more complex limit problems.
veneficus5

Homework Statement

Why is sin x / x at x = 0 equal to 1?

Homework Equations

d/dx (sinc(x)) evaluated at x = 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

El hopital's rule
Cos(x)/1, cos(0) = 1

However when looking at the picture of Sinc, http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=sin(x)/x, it appears that the derivative should be 0 at 0.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
veneficus5 said:

Homework Statement

Why is sin x / x at x = 0 equal to 1?

Homework Equations

d/dx (sinc(x)) evaluated at x = 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

El hopital's rule
Cos(x)/1, cos(0) = 1

However when looking at the picture of Sinc, http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=sin(x)/x, it appears that the derivative should be 0 at 0.

Thanks

If you apply l'Hopitals rule to sin(x)/x it doesn't give you the derivative of sin(x)/x at 0. It gives you the limit as x->0 of sin(x)/x.

write sin(x)/x as either
sin(x)/x=1-x^2/3!+x^4/5!-x^6/7!+...(-1)^k x^(2k)/(2k+1)!+...
or
sin(x)/x=integral t=0 to t=1 cos(x t) dt
[tex]\int_0^1 \cos(x t) dt[/tex]
and this should be obvious.

Last edited:
lurflurf said:
write sin(x)/x as either
or

Ah thanks, but I don't understand the last one with the cos.

^Did you get to integrals and series yet?
You could also write
(sin(x)/x)'=x^-2 (x-tan(x))sec(x)

lurflurf said:
write sin(x)/x as either
or
[tex]\int_0^1 \cos(x t) dt[/tex]

Ya I got to them, and I understand the series answer. So I take the derivative of [tex]\int_0^1 \cos(x t) dt[/tex] wrt x. This gives me [tex]\int_0^1 \sin(x t) / -t dt[/tex]. Then what do I do. Sorry it's not obvious :(

veneficus5 said:
Ya I got to them, and I understand the series answer. So I take the derivative of [tex]\int_0^1 \cos(x t) dt[/tex] wrt x. This gives me [tex]\int_0^1 \sin(x t) / -t dt[/tex]. Then what do I do. Sorry it's not obvious :(

[tex]\frac{sin(x)}{x} = \int_0^1 \cos(x t) dt[/tex]

Therefore:

[tex]\frac{sin(x)}{x}, (x=0) = \int_0^1 \cos(0 t) dt = \int_0^1 dt = 1[/tex]

EDIT: Also, your problem when you're "looking at the sinc function" is that you AREN'T. You're looking at the function sin(x)/x.

ah I got it. Pretty clever. Thanks

So I can think of el hopital taking the slope of the top and bottom of the fraction. For sin x / x, sin x superimposed upon x makes it clear that it is 1.

It also sort of makes sense how el hopitals only works when there is a singularity on the bottom, but is there a better explanation?

I was messing around with lines like (x+5)*(x-3)/(x-3) and seeing how hopitals worked and didn't work.

I was also a little confused on whether I wanted to derivative or

veneficus5 said:
ah I got it. Pretty clever. Thanks

So I can think of el hopital taking the slope of the top and bottom of the fraction. For sin x / x, sin x superimposed upon x makes it clear that it is 1.
I don't understand what you're saying, "sin x superimposed upon x makes it clear that it is 1."

L'Hopital's Rule applies to limit expressions with the indeterminate forms of [tex]\left[\frac{0}{0}\right][/tex] or [tex]\left[\frac{\infty}{\infty}\right][/tex]

BTW, this name is pronounced lo-pi-tal, not el hopital.

If you have a limit expression like this,
[tex]\lim_{x \to a}\frac{f(x)}{g(x)} [/tex]
where both f(x) and g(x) approach 0 as x approaches a, you can't evaluate the limit, as it is indeterminate.

If, however,
[tex]\lim_{x \to a}\frac{f '(x)}{g'(x)} [/tex]
has a limit, then that value is the same as the one you really want; namely,
[tex]\lim_{x \to a}\frac{f(x)}{g(x)} [/tex]

veneficus5 said:
It also sort of makes sense how el hopitals only works when there is a singularity on the bottom, but is there a better explanation?

I was messing around with lines like (x+5)*(x-3)/(x-3) and seeing how hopitals worked and didn't work.

I was also a little confused on whether I wanted to derivative or
Try this one:
[tex]\lim_{x \to 3}\frac{x^2 - 9}{x - 3} [/tex]

It's probably overkill to use L'Hopital's Rule on this one, as you can also do it by factoring the numerator and cancelling the like terms top and bottom.

Mark44 said:
I don't understand what you're saying, "sin x superimposed upon x makes it clear that it is 1."

If you look at the graphs on top of each other, sin x starts out the same as x. So it makes sense that as x approaches 0, one thing divided by the same one thing should be 1.

Thanks for the pronunciation tip. I never knew how to say L'Hopitals.

veneficus5 said:
If you look at the graphs on top of each other, sin x starts out the same as x. So it makes sense that as x approaches 0, one thing divided by the same one thing should be 1.
Another way to say this is that for x close to 0, sin(x) [itex]\approx[/itex] x.
veneficus5 said:
Thanks for the pronunciation tip. I never knew how to say L'Hopitals.

veneficus5 said:

Be careful about this type of logic. 0/0 (one thing divided by the same one thing) doesn't always equal one. Hence the reason why we have L'Hopital's rule.

Different examples of "0/0" not equaling 1:

lim x->0 (sinx)/(x^3)=infinity

lim x->0 (sinx)/(x^2)=DNE

lim x->0 (x^2)/(sinx)=0

^Why do people like L'Hopital's rule so much? Saying sin(x)=x+O(x^3) is enough to conclude sin(x)/x->1.

Last edited:
lurflurf said:
^Why do people like L'Hopital's rule so much? Saying sin(x)=x+O(x^3) is enough to conclude sin(x)/x->1.

Mainly people "like L'Hopital's so much" because many people learn L'Hopital's in Calculus I where as Taylor Series is usually saved for a Calculus II class. Also, many books (like Stewart and Rogawski) cover L'Hopital's at least a couple chapters before Taylor Series are even mentioned. Most students (though not all) trying to evaluate this limit for a class would not know the Taylor Series of sinx, nor what a Taylor Series even means.

veneficus5 said:

Btw, you originally mentioned the derivative of (sinx)/x at x=0. However, does it even make sense to talk about the derivative at x=0? What must be true for the derivative to even exist at a certain x-value?

Indeed, the title of this thread is an error. Clearly the OP is talking about the limit, not the derivative. Since the function value does not even exist at x= 0, the function is not continuous there and so not differentiable.

How you show that [itex]\lim_{x\to 0} sin(x)/x= 1[/itex] depends upon exactly how you have defined sin(x)! Most calculus texts define sine and cosine in terms of coordinates on the unit circle, then give a rather hand-waving geometric argument. However, you can also define sine and cosine as solutions to certain initial value problems or as power series, then derive other formulas from that.

1. What is the derivative of sin x / x?

The derivative of sin x / x is a mathematical expression that represents the instantaneous rate of change of the function at any given point. In other words, it shows how the function is changing at a specific point.

2. Why is the derivative of sin x / x at x=0 1?

The derivative of sin x / x at x=0 is 1 because at this point, the function is equal to 1 and the slope of the tangent line is also equal to 1. This can be proven through the limit definition of the derivative.

3. How is the derivative of sin x / x at x=0 calculated?

The derivative of sin x / x at x=0 is calculated using the limit definition of the derivative. This involves taking the limit as h approaches 0 of the difference quotient of the function at x=0 and x=0+h. This limit will give the slope of the tangent line at x=0, which is equal to 1.

4. What does the derivative of sin x / x represent?

The derivative of sin x / x represents the instantaneous rate of change of the function at any given point. It also represents the slope of the tangent line at that point. This can be interpreted as the direction and steepness of the function at that point.

5. Can the derivative of sin x / x at x=0 be different from 1?

No, the derivative of sin x / x at x=0 will always be equal to 1. This is because of the nature of the sine function and its behavior at x=0. However, the derivative may be different at other points on the function.