veneficus5 said:
ah I got it. Pretty clever. Thanks
So I can think of el hopital taking the slope of the top and bottom of the fraction. For sin x / x, sin x superimposed upon x makes it clear that it is 1.
I don't understand what you're saying, "sin x superimposed upon x makes it clear that it is 1."
L'Hopital's Rule applies to limit expressions with the indeterminate forms of [tex]\left[\frac{0}{0}\right][/tex] or [tex]\left[\frac{\infty}{\infty}\right][/tex]
BTW, this name is pronounced lo-pi-tal, not el hopital.
If you have a limit expression like this,
[tex]\lim_{x \to a}\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}[/tex]
where both f(x) and g(x) approach 0 as x approaches a, you can't evaluate the limit, as it is indeterminate.
If, however,
[tex]\lim_{x \to a}\frac{f '(x)}{g'(x)}[/tex]
has a limit, then that value is the same as the one you really want; namely,
[tex]\lim_{x \to a}\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}[/tex]
veneficus5 said:
It also sort of makes sense how el hopitals only works when there is a singularity on the bottom, but is there a better explanation?
I was messing around with lines like (x+5)*(x-3)/(x-3) and seeing how hopitals worked and didn't work.
I was also a little confused on whether I wanted to derivative or
Try this one:
[tex]\lim_{x \to 3}\frac{x^2 - 9}{x - 3}[/tex]
It's probably overkill to use L'Hopital's Rule on this one, as you can also do it by factoring the numerator and cancelling the like terms top and bottom.