Finding resistance and its change from a V-I graph

In summary, the electrical resistance of the component is V2/I2 when the potential difference across it is V2 volts. The resistance changes between V1 and V2, but the teachers at the school are saying the correct answer is B and I could not follow their reasoning.
Raymond

Homework Statement

The question reads:
The following graph shows the relationship between voltage V and current I, through a particular electrical component. (The line in graph is straight, not showing properly in the photo)

What is the electrical resistance of this component when the potential difference across it is V2 volts, and how does this resistance change between V1 and V2?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This questions was in an exam and there are conflicting answers. I'd like to know what others think the answer is and why.

Attachments

• IMG-20170529-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20170529-WA0000.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 1,079
Physics news on Phys.org
In terms of the graph, what is the resistance (i.e. slope, intercept, inverse slope, etc.)?

Raymond said:
This questions was in an exam and there are conflicting answers. I'd like to know what others think the answer is and why.
What are those answers and the reasoning behind them? More importantly, what is your answer and your reasoning behind it?

gneill said:
What are those answers and the reasoning behind them? More importantly, what is your answer and your reasoning behind it?
I personally think the answer should be C because to work out the resistance you just read it off the graph for voltage V2 which is I2. So the resistance should be V2/I2 and for the second part I believe it decreases because at point V1 the resistance is infinite (open circuit) and then it is conducting so resistance has decreased. However the teachers at the school are saying the correct answer is B and I could not follow their reasoning.

Raymond said:
I personally think the answer should be C because to work out the resistance you just read it off the graph for voltage V2 which is I2. So the resistance should be V2/I2 and for the second part I believe it decreases because at point V1 the resistance is infinite (open circuit) and then it is conducting so resistance has decreased. However the teachers at the school are saying the correct answer is B and I could not follow their reasoning.
Under that reasoning, what is the resistance at V1? Does that make any sense?

The teachers' answer is going by the definition of resistance, which is not the same as what you might think from a casual application of Ohm's Law for simple ohmic materials (such as typical resistors). Take a look here:

https://www.av8n.com/physics/resistance.htm

One problem I have with the question as it is given is that the resistance at the point on the curve at V1 is not well defined since the curve does not have a unique derivative (slope) at that point.

Isaac0427 said:
Under that reasoning, what is the resistance at V1? Does that make any sense?
There's no current going through at that point. so the circuit is open and hence the resistance is infinite.

gneill said:
The teachers' answer is going by the definition of resistance, which is not the same as what you might think from a casual application of Ohm's Law for simple ohmic materials (such as typical resistors). Take a look here:

https://www.av8n.com/physics/resistance.htm

One problem I have with the question as it is given is that the resistance at the point on the curve at V1 is not well defined since the curve does not have a unique derivative (slope) at that point.
The definition you referred to is more for differential or dynamic resistance not the static one which I believe what the question asks for.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elect...onductance#Static_and_differential_resistance

If we just assume this graph was produced by plotting the results of an experiment. Then wouldn't the ammeter be reading I2 when V2 voltage is applied and wouldn't that logically imply that the resistance of the component at the time of applying V2 is V2/I2?
Also in regards to V1, the current going through the component is zero so the it acts as a open switch (just like a diode) so the resistance is infinite

It depends upon what definition is applied for resistance. Your answer will depend upon which definition you assume applies. Since the question is not explicit in this, you need to turn to your course text or notes to determine the definition that is intended.

Usually, the definition based on the differential change in potential difference w.r.t. current is assumed.

Raymond said:
There's no current going through at that point. so the circuit is open and hence the resistance is infinite.
Reread the question. How I am reading it, it is implied that the circuit is not open. If the element were open, how would it have been possible for there to be current across it at V2? Remember, the graph is only of one electrical element. You may just be thinking too much into the question. If I had seen the question on a test, I would have recognized that the resistance is the reciprocal of the slope of that line, and the slope is constant throughout the graph. What level physics is this? By the question, it seems like an algebra-based physics course, in which that approach is what they would be looking for.

gneill said:
It depends upon what definition is applied for resistance. Your answer will depend upon which definition you assume applies. Since the question is not explicit in this, you need to turn to your course text or notes to determine the definition that is intended.

Usually, the definition based on the differential change in potential difference w.r.t. current is assumed.
I agree , they should have clarified which type of resistance they were after. At this school they only define resistance as voltage over current.

Isaac0427 said:
Reread the question. How I am reading it, it is implied that the circuit is not open. If the element were open, how would it have been possible for there to be current across it at V2? Remember, the graph is only of one electrical element. You may just be thinking too much into the question. If I had seen the question on a test, I would have recognized that the resistance is the reciprocal of the slope of that line, and the slope is constant throughout the graph. What level physics is this? By the question, it seems like an algebra-based physics course, in which that approach is what they would be looking for.
The circuit is not open but it acts as if open. This characteristic can be seen in diodes where a certain amount of voltage is needed for the current to go through. If the voltage is lower than that no current goes through.
Resistance being reciprocal of slope is not totally correct and doesn't work at all times. It only gives you the dynamic resistance not the static one.

Perhaps consider what happens if you have a DC voltage (=V2) with a small AC voltage superimposed on it (eg the voltage fluctuates about V2 by a small amount. That will cause a DC current I2 with a small AC current superimposed on it. The small signal resistance will be the slope at V2.

Then do the same thing at (or rather just above) V1.

1. What is resistance and how is it represented on a V-I graph?

Resistance is a measure of an object's ability to impede the flow of electric current. It is typically represented by the symbol R and is measured in units of ohms (Ω). On a V-I graph, resistance is represented by the slope of the line. The steeper the slope, the higher the resistance.

2. How do you calculate resistance from a V-I graph?

To calculate resistance from a V-I graph, you can use the formula R = V/I, where R is resistance, V is voltage, and I is current. Simply choose two points on the graph and use them to calculate the slope, which represents the resistance.

3. What factors can cause resistance to change on a V-I graph?

There are several factors that can cause resistance to change on a V-I graph. These include the material the object is made of, the length and thickness of the object, and the temperature of the object. Generally, materials with higher resistivity, longer and thinner objects, and higher temperatures will result in a higher resistance on the V-I graph.

4. How can you use a V-I graph to find the resistance of a circuit?

To find the resistance of a circuit using a V-I graph, you can use the slope of the line as mentioned earlier. Another method is to use the inverse of the slope, which is known as conductance. Conductance is the reciprocal of resistance and is represented by the symbol G. Using the formula G = I/V, you can calculate the resistance of the circuit.

5. Can resistance ever be negative on a V-I graph?

No, resistance cannot be negative on a V-I graph. Since resistance is a measure of an object's ability to impede electric current, it is always a positive value. However, the slope of the line on a V-I graph can be negative, indicating a decrease in resistance as the voltage increases.