Why is the Kinetic Energy 0 at an infinite distance away from a point?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
A131313
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Homework Statement
Explain why the kinetic energy is 0 at an infinite distance
Relevant Equations
Newton's law of gravitation, Law of Conservation of Energy, Gravitational potential energy, kinetic energy
Hello! I'm trying to understand the concept of escape velocity, and I know you equate the initial mechanical energy to the final mechanical energy, where the final mechanical energy is at a distance of infinity. I know that the gravitational potential energy approaches 0 as the distance r gets infinitely large, but how in the heck is kinetic energy also equal to 0 at at an infinitely large distance? Sorry if this is a really rudimentary question and I'm just being stupid, but the explain would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the definition of escape velocity? What happens when an object is moving with a velocity higher than escape velocity?

Your problem statement is incomplete. It should read "Explain why the kinetic energy is 0 at an infinite distance when the object is moving at the escape velocity".