• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Why is the Kinetic Energy 0 at an infinite distance away from a point?

• Thread starter A131313
  • Start date
Problem Statement
Explain why the kinetic energy is 0 at an infinite distance
Relevant Equations
Newton's law of gravitation, Law of Conservation of Energy, Gravitational potential energy, kinetic energy
Hello! I'm trying to understand the concept of escape velocity, and I know you equate the initial mechanical energy to the final mechanical energy, where the final mechanical energy is at a distance of infinity. I know that the gravitational potential energy approaches 0 as the distance r gets infinitely large, but how in the heck is kinetic energy also equal to 0 at at an infinitely large distance? Sorry if this is a really rudimentary question and I'm just being stupid, but the explain would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

kuruman

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
What is the definition of escape velocity? What happens when an object is moving with a velocity higher than escape velocity?

Your problem statement is incomplete. It should read "Explain why the kinetic energy is 0 at an infinite distance when the object is moving at the escape velocity".