Why is the series \(\sum \frac{-1}{n}\) divergent like the harmonic series?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
haha1234
Messages
109
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I know that the harmonic series is divergent.But why [itex]\frac{-1}{n}[/itex] is also divergent?
I've search for some test to test that, but I could not find a method for negative series.
So how can I prove the series is divergent?:confused:

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
haha1234 said:

Homework Statement



I know that the harmonic series is divergent.But why [itex]\frac{-1}{n}[/itex] is also divergent?
I've search for some test to test that, but I could not find a method for negative series.
So how can I prove the series is divergent?:confused:

Homework Equations



The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\displaystyle (-1)\cdot\sum_{n=1}^\infty \left(\frac{1}{u}\right)=\sum_{n=1}^\infty \left(-\frac{1}{u}\right)[/itex]
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
haha1234 said:

Homework Statement



I know that the harmonic series is divergent.But why [itex]\frac{-1}{n}[/itex] is also divergent?
I've search for some test to test that, but I could not find a method for negative series.
So how can I prove the series is divergent?:confused:

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


If the partial sums of ##\sum\frac 1 n## diverge, then so do the partial sums of ##\sum -\frac 1 n=-\sum\frac 1 n##.