Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is the set of cosines and sines a vector space?

1. Aug 18, 2015 #1
    So when I took linear algebra I was asked to show the well-known properties of orthogonality in the functions cos(mx) and sin(mx)... With this I mean all the usual combinations which I don't see why I should point out explicitly.

The inner product in the vector space was defined ##\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \phi_n \phi_m dx ## as usual.

What I don't understand is why the space of functions ( cos(mx), sin(nx) ) (with this notation I'm pointing out all cosines and sines of integer angular frequency), is a vector space.

Namely, its not closed under addition! If I add whichever combination I won't get a function of the form cos(mx) or sin(mx) back. There'll always be a phase constant ##\Phi## or something along those lines.

Why are people so wishywashy with this? How can you define an inner product on a space of functions that doesnt form a vector space?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2015 #2
    The set of just those trig functions is not a vector space. However, the space of their linear combinations is. It is on this space (or perhaps a larger one like square integrable functions) that the inner product you described is defined. Here that exercise shows that [itex] 1,\sin x,\cos x, \sin 2x,\cos 2x,...[/itex] are orthogonal.

4. Aug 18, 2015 #3
    Oh, that makes sense. I have one question though; when you have a set of functions like this one (infinite, orthogonal, not necessarily trigonometric) do they serve as a basis for all possible functions or not necessarily?

If not, then is the Fourier Series so useful because the basis (1 sinx, cosx,.....cosnx,sinnx) describes a vector space that is "very big" ?

5. Aug 18, 2015 #4
    Strictly speaking [itex] \{1,\sin x, \cos x,...\}[/itex] is only a basis for the space of their linear combinations. However, more functions are included in your space if you allow infinite sums of these trig functions. Not every function on [itex][-\pi,\pi][/itex]can be written as a (even infinite) sum of trig functions and the question of exactly which functions have a convergent Fourier series is quite complicated.
    Fortunately, 'nice' functions ([itex] C^1[/itex] is sufficient but not necessary) can be written as their Fourier series which is enough in many applications, the first historically being to the heat equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook