Why is the sky so bright here at night?

• Thread starter AFG34
  • Start date
Hello PF

I'm hoping someone can answer this for me.

I am in Ottawa, Canada and right now it is almost 2 am. I am about to go to sleep but can't help to notice why the sky is so unusually bright. It is a light peachy color. I can see the grass outside my house without any lights, it is that bright. I don't know why this is but I am curious. lol

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Someone posted a thread sayings the northern lights would be visible much further south than normal (about a week ago maybe?) I wonder if that's what you're seeing. I don't think they're that bright though.

ideasrule

Homework Helper
I think the cloud ceiling is either very low, or the clouds are unusually white. That way, more light from Ottawa's light bulbs would get reflected down to the ground.

Light pollution sucks, yo.

And it's back to normal tonight...

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hello PF

I'm hoping someone can answer this for me.

I am in Ottawa, Canada and right now it is almost 2 am. I am about to go to sleep but can't help to notice why the sky is so unusually bright. It is a light peachy color. I can see the grass outside my house without any lights, it is that bright. I don't know why this is but I am curious. lol
Did you move to Ottawa recently?

It's likely just a combination of heavy cloud cover and snow on the ground that helps reflect city lights (back and forth) and make for a bright night.

Did you move to Ottawa recently?

It's likely just a combination of heavy cloud cover and snow on the ground that helps reflect city lights (back and forth) and make for a bright night.
or maybe a light fog