Why does it look dark between the distance stars at night?

• Thread starter NnnTech
  • Start date
Homework Statement:
The nature of light!
Relevant Equations:
Xn
Hello , I have to do some ''homework'' on the nature of light ! I have to write everything I can think of !

When I look in the night sky , between the distant stars it looks observably dark when there is electromagnetic radiation filling that space .

Why does it look dark ?

Answers and Replies

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
Homework Statement:: The nature of light!
Relevant Equations:: Xn

Hello , I have to do some ''homework'' on the nature of light ! I have to write everything I can think of !

When I look in the night sky , between the distant stars it looks observably dark when there is electromagnetic radiation filling that space .

Why does it look dark ?
What does it take for something not to "look" dark?

Likes NnnTech
phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Google Olber's Paradox

Likes NnnTech
Google Olber's Paradox
Thank you , I don't see any paradox though but don't want to speculative in fear of warnings . I thought , my opinion , is that it is because there is nothing to see within visual range between these body . I thought the space was transparent . I think it is an optical illusion and not actually dark at all . Additionally in vector terms I thought it was Xn , an unspecified distance ? Have I solved Olber's paradox ?

jbriggs444
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I think it is an optical illusion and not actually dark at all
This is definitely putting your toes over the line entitled "speculation starts here".

The baseline illumination you get from the gaps between the stars is pretty much the same as what you get emitted from a lump of black soot at about 2.725 degrees kelvin. It's called the Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation.

In a [rather strained] sense, it is an "optical illusion" and is "not actually dark at all". The Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation was emitted by an incandescent plasma and was very bright. We see it as dark because the expansion of the universe has reduced both its intensity and its frequency. The measured effect is real, not an illusion.

Last edited:
What does it take for something not to "look" dark?
Eye sight ?

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I thought , my opinion , is that it is because there is nothing to see within visual range between these body
Yes, that is the short answer to @PeroK 's question but the issue is WHY is there nothing in the visual range? In other words, your answer is "it's dark because it's dark".

This is definitely putting your toes over the line entitled "speculation starts here".

The baseline illumination you get from the gaps between the stars is pretty much the same as what you get emitted from a lump of black soot at about 2.725 degrees kelvin. It's called the Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation.
How are you suppose to answer replies if you can't add opinion based on facts ? Between the distant stars there is electromagnetic radiation ? For something to look in ''darkness' when there is lots of light must be an optical illusion unless you know a better answer ?

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
Eye sight ?
Okay. What does it take for your eyes to see something?

Likes NnnTech
Okay. What does it take for your eyes to see something?
Arr yes , that's an easy one , the information has to enter your eyes via light wave function ?

Yes, that is the short answer to @PeroK 's question but the issue is WHY is there nothing in the visual range? In other words, your answer is "it's dark because it's dark".
It isn't dark though because that would sort of mean opaque from eye to the ''edge of the visual universe'' wouldn't it ?

There is nothing to see in these spaces because our telescopes can only see so far ?

jbriggs444
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
How are you suppose to answer replies if you can't add opinion based on facts ? Between the distant stars there is electromagnetic radiation ? For something to look in ''darkness' when there is lots of light must be an optical illusion unless you know a better answer ?
The light was denser and higher frequency when the universe was young. It is sparser and lower frequency now. Google CMBR.

It is not an optical illusion. It is real. Space-time curvature messes with intuitions about how things must remain the same. Keep your eyes out for Noether's theorem.

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
Arr yes , that's an easy one , the information has to enter your eyes via light wave function ?
So it's not a question of whether space contains EM radiation, it's a question of whether any of it is coming in your direction.

PS Olbers paradox is something else.

The light was denser and higher frequency when the universe was young. It is sparser and lower frequency now. Google CMBR.

It is not an optical illusion. It is real. Space-time curvature messes with intuitions about how things must remain the same.
Cosmic microwave background radiation , yes that is detectable light from the early universe . So you are saying that between the distant bodies it is really dark ? The space itself is dark ?

So it's not a question of whether space contains EM radiation, it's a question of whether any of it is coming in your direction.

PS Olbers paradox is something else.
I see what you are saying but even without us to observe the universe , the sun would still be a bright ball , orange looking in the sky ?

jbriggs444
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Cosmic microwave background radiation , yes that is detectable light from the early universe . So you are saying that between the distant bodies it is really dark ? The space itself is dark ?
Yes. Space is both dark and transparent. You can see through it all the way to the incandescent plasma that is the CMBR. But you see it hideously red-shifted so that it is dark now even though it was bright then.

When I say that "space is dark", I mean that the space around us is not carrying much light. What you see is what is there. It is not brightly illuminated except in the neighborhood of stars.

Yes. Space is both dark and transparent. You can see through it all the way to the incandescent plasma that is the CMBR. But you see it hideously red-shifted so that it is dark now even though it was bright then.
How can it be red-shifted light when the distant stars are local relatively to that distant ?

Are you saying if an earth like body was travelling -ve towards the earth and came within visual range where the distant stars were positioned , we wouldn't see that body ?

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
I see what you are saying but even without us to observe the universe , the sun would still be a bright ball , orange looking in the sky ?
That's not the point. You can't see light unless it enters your eyes. When you see a searchlight shining up into the sky, what you are seeing is some of the light being scattered off particles in the air. If A searchlight was shining up through a vacuum you would see nothing.

The solar system is permanently flooded with light from the Sun, but we don't see it at night except where it reflects off the moon or the planets.

jbriggs444
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
How can it be red-shifted light when the distant stars are local relatively to that distant ?

Are you saying if an earth like body was travelling -ve towards the earth and came within visual range where the distant stars were positioned , we wouldn't see that body ?
Cosmological red shift due to the expansion of the universe.

Cosmological red shift due to the expansion of the universe.
That is +ve not -ve ! My question asked about -ve , which would blueshift wouldn't it ?

jbriggs444
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
That is +ve not -ve ! My question asked about -ve , which would blueshift wouldn't it ?
The surface of last scattering is red-shifted. That's a cosmological red shift.

I do not know why you are babbling about an incoming planet with a kinematic blue shift.

The surface of last scattering is red-shifted.

I do not know why you are babbling about an incoming planet with a kinematic blue shift.
Between the distant stars is Xn ? An unspecified distance ?

jbriggs444
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Between the distant stars is Xn ? An unspecified distance ?
The surface of last scattering is not composed of stars. It is composed of incandescent and, accordingly, opaque plasma. No stars. Galaxy formation had not yet begun. We are talking about a time about 380,000 years after the big bang.

The surface of last scattering is not composed of stars. It is composed of incandescent and, accordingly, opaque plasma. No stars. Galaxy formation had not yet begun.
Einsteins space-time xyzt is based on visual matter . I have drawn up a quick doodle of my question for clarity .
xnn.jpg

jbriggs444
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Einsteins space-time xyzt is based on visual matter.
No. It is not.