Why is the speed of photons different?

Summary:

I read the Feynman's book about the quantum electrodynamics and I realized, that he was talking about the different speed of photons - please why are photons travelling at different speed, the blue photons are faster that the red ones, for instance?

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi,

I read the Feynman's book about the quantum electrodynamics and I realized, that he was talking about the different speed of photons. I know, that the light travel's "slower" in a material, but he is also talking about the different speed of photons. I read on the web, that some photons travel's faster than the ther ones because of different energy, but WHY? Please give me some deep answer - deep like Feynman's book, no less.

Answers and Replies

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
please why are photons travelling at different speed, the blue photons are faster that the red ones, for instance?
I think you must have misunderstood something. "red" and "blue" are just different frequencies in the EM spectrum and they all travel at the same speed, c (in a vacuum).

Last edited:
EPR
This is why the speed of light you have read about is measured in vacuum(c).
In other mediums, due to different diffraction coefficients certain wavelengths are affected differently.

Likes vanhees71 and etotheipi