Does the Series \(\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{2+(-1)^k}{5^k}\) Converge?

  • Thread starter Thread starter fishingspree2
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Convergence Series
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
fishingspree2
Messages
138
Reaction score
0
[tex]\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{2+\left(-1 \right)^{k}}{5^{k}}[/tex]

Hello, I am trying to determine if this series converges or diverges. I have tried comparison test and d'Alembert's test but I was not successful

Can anyone suggest me a test learned in Calculus 2 that will work?

Thank you
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Since you're asking if there exists another test you could also use.

[tex] \lim_{n \to \infty}\sqrt[n]{|a_n|}<1[/tex]

It converges absolutely if the limit is smaller than 1.
 
Thank you, I have figured it out. I have another question if you don't mind

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{\left|\cos k \right|}{k^{3}}[/tex]

It looks like a riemann series but I don't really know how to deal with trigonometric functions in series yet. What to do? Can anyone explain me?

Thank you
 
What values can |cos k| take? Perhaps consider a p-series