Why is the voltage in an ideal battery equal to that in an open circuit?

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter Mango12
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Batteries
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Mango12
Messages
48
Reaction score
0
question: referencing ohm's law, why is the voltage in an ideal battery equal to that in an open circuit?

I know ohm's law, and I know that an ideal battery has the same voltage no matter what it's connected to, but what does that have to do with an open circuit?
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Mango12 said:
question: referencing ohm's law, why is the voltage in an ideal battery equal to that in an open circuit?

I know ohm's law, and I know that an ideal battery has the same voltage no matter what it's connected to, but what does that have to do with an open circuit?

Hi Mango12! ;)

A real battery loses some of its voltage in a closed circuit.
Putting a load on real battery has its effect.
However, even a real battery behaves like an ideal battery if there's no load on it - that is, if we have an open circuit.