Why is the work in this question = to the potential energy?

In summary, a mass of 235kg is lifted by a winch and an electric motor. The electric energy needed to complete this task is 160,000J. The attempted solution states that the electric energy is greater than the potential energy, and that the work is thrown away in the process.
hamza2095

Homework Statement

A mass of 235kg is lifted by a winch and an electric motor. The motor does 1800J of work on the mass to raise it to an upper floor. The electric energy needed to complete this task is 160,000J

Homework Equations

I know the solution but I don't why it is the solution
Solution:
m*g*h = W
h = 1800J/(235kg*9.5N/Kg)
= 0.78m

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it's because the mechanical energy (Em= Ek + Eg) is 1800J and when the mass is at the top all the energy is in the form of gravitational potential energy because the velocity is 0, making the kinetic energy 0.
I want to know why so if on a test there is a similar question I know how to do it

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a reasonable enough answer.

Does the problem statement ask you to find the height, and you want to know why you use the potential energy and not the electric energy?

Why is the electric energy greater than the potential energy?

Mister T said:
Does the problem statement ask you to find the height, and you want to know why you use the potential energy and not the electric energy?

Why is the electric energy greater than the potential energy?
Yeah I want to know why the work is used and not the electric energy. I'm pretty sure the the electric energy is more than the work because energy might be lost due to heat, friction, sound etc. The next part of the question asks you to find the efficiency of the system for which you divide the output energy (the work) by the input ( the electrical energy) and it comes out to be 1.1% or so.

You're right! So the part that's lost doesn't do work lifting the mass.

Likes hamza2095
There are two things that seem strange with the provided solution.
0.78m is nowhere near enough to be the distance to a higher floor.
160,000J spent to achieve 1800J of useful work is unbelievably inefficient.
I note it says the motor does 1800J of work on the mass. As I understand it, the work done on a rigid body is the increase in KE of the body. The work done against gravity is work done on the Earth-mass system. Yes, presumably the mass eventually does come to rest, but that would be a result of applying a brake when the mass is high enough. So, arguably, the 1800J was work done in providing KE (ultimately thrown away by applying the brake) and the rest of the 160,000J was the work done against gravity. That at least gives a more reasonable answer, about 69m, 20 storeys say.

Btw, 9.5m/s2 is rather an unusual value for g. It's generally taken as 10, 9.8 or 9.81.

haruspex said:
Btw, 9.5m/s2 is rather an unusual value for g. It's generally taken as 10, 9.8 or 9.81.

The 9.5 was just a typo. He used 9.8 in his calculation.

While your scenario does sound more plausible, I note that he said he knew that the right answer was 0.78 m.

It's possible that his teacher made an error transcribing the problem, that the original value was 18000 J, giving a constant-speed lift height of 7.8 m and an efficiency of 11%. Still pretty low, but not ridiculously so!

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy stored in an object due to its position or state. It is the energy that can be converted into other forms, such as kinetic energy, to do work on other objects.

2. Why is the work in this question equal to the potential energy?

In this context, work refers to the force applied on an object multiplied by the distance it moves. When an object is at rest, its potential energy is equal to the work done in moving it to that position. This is because the force required to move the object against gravity is equal to its weight, which is directly proportional to its potential energy.

3. How is potential energy calculated?

The formula for potential energy is PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height or distance from the ground. This formula can be used for objects in a gravitational field, but there are other formulas for different types of potential energy, such as elastic potential energy and chemical potential energy.

4. Why is potential energy important?

Potential energy is important because it is a fundamental concept in physics and helps us understand the behavior of objects in different situations. It is also essential in the study of energy conservation, as potential energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy.

5. Can potential energy be negative?

Yes, potential energy can be negative. This usually occurs when the reference point for potential energy is below the object's position, such as in the case of an object below ground level. Negative potential energy does not mean that the object has less energy, it simply means that it has less energy in that particular configuration compared to the reference point.