1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is there circulation around a wing?

1. Dec 5, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    From my notes: "In an irrotational flow, Γ = 0 for any curve lying wholly within the fluid. But circulation around a wing (airflow) is possible! Why?"

3. The attempt at a solution
    The obvious answer is that the air around the wing isn't irrotational. But that seems a bit too simple: they're implying that there's a possible contradiction here. I suspect that the answer is in Bernoulli's or Euler's equations, which I've heard are linked to why planes fly. But that's well ahead in my notes and I don't understand any of that yet.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2014 #2

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

When I sailed, I took great advantage of Czeslaw A. Marchaj's aerodynamics that used circulation around the entire sail-plan. Sail Performance, Techniques to Maximize Sail Power, Revised edition. (London: Adlard Coles Nautical, 2003.)

4. Dec 6, 2014 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I'm no expert on this, but I always thought the condition was that the curve did not go around any point that was not part of the flow. I.e. you could embed the curve in a 2-D simply connected manifold that was entirely contained in the flow.

5. Dec 6, 2014 #4

rcgldr

Homework Helper

In this case "circulation" doesn't mean that the same parcel of air flows all the way around the wing, it's more of a reference to the relative flows at the front, rear, top, and bottom of a wing.

6. Dec 8, 2014 #5

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So then explore why the flow is not irrotational. Do you know what is required in order for a flow to be irrotational?

7. Dec 8, 2014 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I found http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortex#Irrotational_vortices, which supports the explanation I gave at post #3:
    "For an irrotational vortex, the circulation is zero along any closed contour that does not enclose the vortex axis and has a fixed value,".
    Since the wing may effectively represent a vortex, a contour around the wing can have a nonzero circulation.

8. Dec 8, 2014 #7

pasmith

Homework Helper

This is the case. A finite body surrounded by fluid permits velocity fields with singularities which would lie within the body. Such as: [tex]
    \mathbf{u}(x,y) = - \frac{k(y - y_0)}{2\pi ((x - x_0)^2 + (y - y_0)^2)}\mathbf{e}_x + \frac{k(x - x_0)}{2\pi ((x - x_0)^2 + (y - y_0)^2)}\mathbf{e}_y[/tex]for constant [itex]k[/itex].

Exercise for the OP: calculate the circulation of this field on a curve consisting of a circle of radius [itex]a > 0[/itex] centered at [itex](x_0, y_0)[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted