1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is this equation dimensionally correct?

1. Feb 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that this equation is dimensionally correct.
    y = (2m)cos(kx), where k = 2m^-1

2. Relevant equations
    None that I know of.

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't know why this is correct. I have looked through the chapter and all of the dimensional analysis examples(there are only three) list what the variables represent. The only information given is what I have typed, so I am just assuming that m represents meters.

Are trig. functions dimensionless?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2012 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yes, trigonometric functions take arguments that are dimensionless.

4. Feb 2, 2012 #3
    Thank you for answering my question.

So, does it just boil down to the equation being correct because y and 2m are both lengths?

5. Feb 3, 2012 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Were you asking if kx is dimensionless or if cos kx is dimensionless?

6. Feb 3, 2012 #5
    cos(kx)
    This is my first physics class and our book doesn't mention trig. functions in the section about dimensional analysis. I am just a little confused.

7. Feb 3, 2012 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

OK, Pengwuino answered the other question: kx needs to be dimensionless. The value of the cosine is dimensionless as well, which is the answer to your question.

In general, the standard mathematical functions map a unitless quantity to a unitless result. The main exception is the logarithm because you can do things like log (a/b) = log a - log b, but you should be able to combine logarithms in a way so that you have a unitless argument.

8. Feb 3, 2012 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Actually, whether this is "dimensionally correct" depends upon what dimensions x has!

Assuming that x is a distance, measured in meters, then, since k has dimensions of "m^{-1}", kx is dimensionless. In general, mathematical functions take dimensionless variables and return dimensionless values. When you are told that [itex]f(x)= x^2[/itex] and asked "what is f(3)", you don't have to ask if it is 3 meters or 3 feet, the answer is "9"!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook