Why is this tau decay not allowed?

In summary, the decay ##\tau^{-} \rightarrow \mu^+ + \mu^- + \mu^-## is not allowed because charge and lepton number are conserved in the standard model. However, looking for processes that violate these individual lepton flavor numbers, such as ##\mu^- \to e^- + \gamma##, can help search for new physics beyond the standard model. Neutrino mixing plays a role in this process, but it is extremely unlikely, with a branching fraction of 10-50 to 10-60.
unscientific
Why is the decay ##\tau^{-} \rightarrow \mu^+ + \mu^- + \mu^-## not allowed?

Charge, lepton number are conserved. I have a feeling it is something really basic. I'm thinking in weak interactions you only go from a ##l^- \rightarrow \nu_{l}## and not 'hop' from one muon to another non-neutrino muon.

Physics news on Phys.org
unscientific said:
Why is the decay ##\tau^{-} \rightarrow \mu^+ + \mu^- + \mu^-## not allowed?

Charge, lepton number are conserved. I have a feeling it is something really basic. I'm thinking in weak interactions you only go from a ##l^- \rightarrow \nu_{l}## and not 'hop' from one muon to another non-neutrino muon.

In the standard model, electron number, muon number, and tau number are each separately conserved, except for very small effects coming from neutrino mixing.

One way of searching for physics beyond the standard model is to look for processes like ##\mu^- \to e^- + \gamma## that violate these individual lepton flavor numbers and so are negligibly rare in the SM. So a detection of a process like this would signal new physics.

Likes unscientific
The_Duck said:
In the standard model, electron number, muon number, and tau number are each separately conserved, except for very small effects coming from neutrino mixing.

One way of searching for physics beyond the standard model is to look for processes like ##\mu^- \to e^- + \gamma## that violate these individual lepton flavor numbers and so are negligibly rare in the SM. So a detection of a process like this would signal new physics.
Got it. So lepton numbers must be separate, unlike hadronic numbers.

Lepton number is not conserved in this decay. The lepton numbers associated with the three lepton flavors are conserved separately in these interactions.

Even with neutrino mixing, this process is incredibly unlikely, with a branching fraction somewhere in the range of 10-50 to 10-60, completely undetectable. Comment from a theorist: "We didn't bother to make a more precise estimate".
Only new physics could lead to a detectable branching fraction.

How would the neutrinos or/and their mixing have something to do with these processes? :rolleyes: or are you talking about neutrinos changing their flavor (and so the conservation of each individual flavor's lepton number)?

Neutrino mixing means charged lepton number is only approximately conserved, but approximately means, as mentioned above, "good to a part in 1050".

Likes unscientific
ChrisVer said:
How would the neutrinos or/and their mixing have something to do with these processes? :rolleyes: or are you talking about neutrinos changing their flavor (and so the conservation of each individual flavor's lepton number)?
Neutrino mixing is exactly the process of neutrinos changing their flavor.
That is frequent when the neutrinos can fly hundreds of kilometers or more, but as virtual particles within a decay process (necessary for tau -> 3 mu) it is extremely unlikely.

mfb said:
(necessary for tau -> 3 mu)

that's what I meant :) So the SM process would be like [itex]\tau \rightarrow \nu_\tau W \rightarrow \nu_\mu \bar{\nu}_\mu \mu \rightarrow Z \mu \rightarrow \mu \mu \mu^+[/itex]?

I doubt that diagram would be dominant. You can draw a box-like diagram with two W and two neutrinos forming the box, where one neutrino changes its flavor in between.

would that really give 3 muons?
I think the best in odds [but only one muon as a product] would be a single loop, with the W in one (below) half and a changing tau neutrino to muon on the other (top) half...
this would lead to [itex] \tau \rightarrow \mu [/itex].

Sure, that would give three muons.

##\tau \rightarrow \mu## is forbidden by energy/momentum conservation. You would need an additional photon, for example.

And, I think lepton number is not conserved in neutrino oscillations.

unscientific said:
And, I think lepton number is not conserved in neutrino oscillations.

Vanadium 50 said:
Neutrino mixing means charged lepton number is only approximately conserved, but approximately means, as mentioned above, "good to a part in 1050".

1. Why is the tau decay not allowed?

The tau decay is not allowed because the tau particle is one of the fundamental particles that make up the universe, and as such it follows certain rules and laws of physics. These rules determine which decay processes are allowed and which are not.

2. What determines whether a tau decay is allowed?

The allowed decay processes for the tau particle are determined by the conservation laws of energy, momentum, and charge. These laws state that the total energy, momentum, and charge must be conserved in any particle decay.

3. Are there any exceptions to the rule that a tau decay is not allowed?

There are a few rare exceptions to the rule that a tau decay is not allowed. One example is the decay of a tau particle into a pion and a neutrino, which is allowed due to the weak interaction. However, these exceptions are limited and must still follow the conservation laws.

4. What is the consequence of a tau decay not being allowed?

The consequence of a tau decay not being allowed is that the decay cannot occur naturally. This means that the tau particle will not spontaneously decay into other particles unless it interacts with another particle or is affected by an external force.

5. How is the tau decay not being allowed related to the stability of the tau particle?

The tau decay not being allowed is directly related to the stability of the tau particle. Since the decay is not allowed, the tau particle is considered a stable particle, meaning it has a very long lifetime and does not decay on its own. This stability is due to the laws of physics governing the allowed decay processes.