Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

##Ds^{\pm}## to ##\tau## question on Branching Ratio

1. Jun 1, 2015 #1

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Hi I have some question...I want to find what fraction of some produced ##D_s^\pm## to decay into ##\tau##'s.
    I was looking around the pdg and I came across something that confused me.
    Here:
    http://pdg.lbl.gov/2014/listings/rpp2014-list-Ds-plus-minus.pdf
    on page 4 it lists the semileptonic decays, and an example for the ratio to muons it gives: ##Br(D_s^\pm \rightarrow \mu^\pm \nu_\mu)=(5.56 \pm 0.25)~ \times 10^{-3}##

However in this:
    http://pdg.lbl.gov/2006/reviews/dsdecaycons_s034310.pdf
    Equation (2) gives a totally different Branching ratio...
    ##Br(D_s^\pm \rightarrow \mu^\pm \nu_\mu)=0.0074\pm 0.0013= (7.4 \pm 1.3) \times 10^{-3}##

Why is this happening? (or what am I reading wrong?)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2015 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Well, the muonic branching fraction won't tell you the tau branching fraction, which is about 6%. But besides that, why shouldn't the number change and become more precise over the last 8 years?

4. Jun 1, 2015 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

5.6 is compatible with 7.4 +- 1.3 at a level of ~1.4 standard deviations. Nothing unusual.
    If you check the http://pdg8.lbl.gov/rpp2014v1/pdgLive/BranchingRatio.action?parCode=S034&desig=7 [Broken], you'll see multiple measurements after 2006 going into this new, more precise average.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  5. Jun 1, 2015 #4

ChrisVer

Gold Member

I would take the value from pdg for the branching ratio, however I came across this incompatible values and I became more aware of using those numbers...

I think because the values are not compatible (with errors)

6. Jun 1, 2015 #5

ChrisVer

Gold Member

7. Jun 1, 2015 #6

mfb

2016 Award

They are perfectly compatible, see the post above (we posted nearly at the same time).

Table 6.6 gives 6.4% for tau neutrinos, you are looking at the wrong decay (##D^\pm##).

8. Jun 1, 2015 #7

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Oh I am sorry, for my last post, it's 100% wrong.

However @mfb I would like to ask how you can see the 1.4 std in the above... thanks

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  9. Jun 1, 2015 #8

mfb

2016 Award

7.4-5.6 = 1.8 deviation
    1.8/1.3=1.38 or about 1.4.

A better estimate would take the uncertainty on the more precise value into account. The uncertainties could have some positive correlation, however (from systematic effects), so not taking it into account it is a conservative estimate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook