Why is x = y^2 written instead of y = x^(1/2)?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Miike012
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integral
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Miike012
Messages
1,009
Reaction score
0
How does the function equal x = y^2 I though it was y = x^1/2 ??
I highlighted this part in the picture I posted
 
Attachments
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 424
Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you see if those two are equal?

Try graphing them both
 
Ok yes that's true.. I guess what I am really asking my self is why did they go with x = y^2 instead of y = x^1/2.
 
Can I assume this is about integrals?

The white area is calculated using the integral of y(x)=x1/2.
This integral calculates the area between the graph and the x-axis.

To calculate the gray area, basically the axes are swapped around, so the integral between the graph and the y-axis can be calculated.
But if you do that, the function has to be inverted as well.