Why isn't gravity the result of a variable speed of light?

In summary, Einstein first suggested that gravity may be caused by a varying speed of light near mass, but this hypothesis was later abandoned and not often taught. His 1911 paper "On the influence of gravitation on the propagation of light" proposed a formula for calculating the speed of light in a gravitational field, but this does not imply that the speed of light causes gravity. This theory is a consequence of gravity, not the cause of it. The paper was later rejected due to conflicting with Einstein's postulate of the constant speed of light in special relativity.
marlowgs
Einstein first suggested that gravity was the result of a slowing of the speed of light in the proximity to mass. Why was this hypothesis abandoned?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a reference for that? It is new to me.

I'm with DaleSpam. Please give a reference for your assertion that Einstein ever suggested that the speed of light slowed in the proximithy of mass.

"Über den Einfluß der Schwerkraft auf die Ausbreitung des Lichtes", 1911.
That's only a matter of coordinates. Einstein always explicitly stated that the speed of light, as measured by a local observer, is always the same. The varying speed of light ansatz is sometimes useful, Einstein used it in his 1915 paper to derive light deflection. But it may be confusing, so I guess that's why it is not often taught.
But I also never heard that gravity is caused by a varying light speed; one could say that gravity is the same as a varying light speed under some circumstances.

"On the influence of gravitation on the propogation of light" by A Einstein

I quote :"If we call the velocity of light at the origin of co-ordinates co,then the velocity of light c at a place wiith the gravitational potential P will be given by the relation:

c=co(1 + P/c^2)

The principle of the constancy of light holds good according to this theory in a different form from that which usually underlies the ordinary theory of relativity".

Don't ask me,I just looked it up.

Dadface said:
Note, the title is not "On the influence of the propagation of light on gravitation", which was what the original question was implying.

Changing the velocity of light does NOT imply changing the speed of light!

And, as Dr. Greg said, if gravity changes the velocity of light, it does not follow that the velocity of light causes gravity.

Dadface said:

I quote :"If we call the velocity of light at the origin of co-ordinates co,then the velocity of light c at a place wiith the gravitational potential P will be given by the relation:

c=co(1 + P/c^2)

The principle of the constancy of light holds good according to this theory in a different form from that which usually underlies the ordinary theory of relativity".

Don't ask me,I just looked it up.
In general relativity, any observer measures the local speed of light to be the same regardless of the motion of the observer or the source, just as in special relativity. But the speed of light some distance from the observer can take a different value.

An observer hovering a long way from a black hole will calculate that the outward speed of light near the event horizon drops to zero, but anyone falling into the black hole would still measure the usual constant speed of light there.

But this effect is a consequence of gravity, not the cause of it.

DrGreg said:
Note, the title is not "On the influence of the propagation of light on gravitation", which was what the original question was implying.

I wasnt sure what the implication was but I suspected that it was relevant to the quote I gave.Just trying to be helpful.:biggrin:

Here is one reference:
http://www.speed-light.info/speed_of_light_variable.htm
It refers to a 1911 paper Einstein wrote. The result is only half the deviation obtained by GR. The reference doesn't say why this was regected since no actual experimental data was available at the time. I'm thinking he didn't want the speed of light to be variable because it conflicted with his SR postulate of a costant speed of light.

1. Why is the speed of light considered constant?

The speed of light, denoted by the letter 'c', is a fundamental constant in physics. It was first measured by Danish astronomer Ole Roemer in the 17th century and has since been confirmed by numerous experiments. The speed of light is considered constant because it is the maximum speed at which all forms of energy and information in the universe can travel. This is known as the speed limit of the universe.

2. How does the speed of light relate to gravity?

According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, mass and energy can bend the fabric of space-time, causing objects to accelerate towards each other. This is what we experience as the force of gravity. The speed of light is also affected by the curvature of space-time, which is why light appears to bend when it passes through objects with large masses.

3. Can the speed of light be changed?

No, the speed of light cannot be changed. As mentioned before, it is considered a fundamental constant in the universe. This means that it is the same everywhere and for all observers, regardless of their relative velocities or positions. Attempts to change the speed of light would require breaking the laws of physics as we know them.

4. How does the constant speed of light disprove the variable speed of light theory?

The constant speed of light has been proven through countless experiments and observations. It is a fundamental concept in physics and has been incorporated into many theories, including Einstein's theory of relativity. The variable speed of light theory, which suggests that the speed of light may change in different scenarios, has not been supported by any substantial evidence.

5. Are there any alternative theories to explain the force of gravity?

Yes, there are alternative theories to explain the force of gravity, such as modified Newtonian dynamics (MOND) and the entropic gravity theory. However, these theories have not been widely accepted by the scientific community and have not been able to fully explain the observed effects of gravity. The theory of general relativity, which incorporates the constant speed of light, remains the most widely accepted explanation for gravity.