Why must the EM stress-energy tensor be symmetric?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
michael879
Messages
696
Reaction score
7
Can someone please walk me through (or provide a link that does) the derivation of the EM stress-energy tensor? I get all the concepts I'm just a little confused on some of the details. Basically, you have the definition of the stress energy tensor in terms of the lagrangian, and the condition that [itex]\partial_\mu T^{\mu\nu} = 0[/itex]. What you end up with is an expression that can have anything added to it as long as its derivative remains 0. This is how you generally make the stress-energy tensor symmetric. What I'm confused about is WHY it has to be symmetric, and what prevents you from adding arbitrary constants to it? Is there some condition I'm missing?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ok to add a little more detail to what I'm looking for, I'm trying to derive the E&M stress energy tensor for an SU(N) gauge field in a "material" (i.e. the constitutive relations relating E and B to D and H are undefined). This is a trivial exercise, since the stress-energy tensor is easily derived from the lagrangian. My problem is in getting an expression like the U(1) stress-energy tensor in free space, which is typically made to be symmetric. If I could just understand why it has to be made symmetric, and what the E&M stress-energy tensor is in some material, it would help a lot (generalizing to an SU(N) field is easy).

So basically I'm looking for:
1) a detailed derivation and explanation of the free-space E&M stress-energy tensor
2) the E&M stress-energy tensor without the assumption of a linear material (i.e. undefined constitutive relations)