Why physics and chemistry for computer science?

In summary: Physics is essential for computer science because without understanding the basics of electromagnetism and circuits, you won't be able to understand the code you are writing or the hardware you are repairing.
Avichal
In my country, entrance exams for colleges include topics in physics, chemistry and math. For someone who takes computer science as his branch, why is the student being tested in physics and chemistry?
Being knowledgeable in physics and chemistry is useless if someone takes computer science, isn't it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it obligatory to be tested on all three, or are these to choose from?

We don't get to choose from. We are tested on all three i.e. physics, math and chemistry. Based on the score, people get the better colleges and choice of branches. It's a trend that the top ranked students choose computer science branch.

Were you taught all three at school?

It shows you can deal with "hard science" subjects, and you can handle the workload of 3 subjects.

Some knowledge of physics is definitely useful if your computer science course has anything to do with computer hardware, but maybe it's not so clear what chemistry would be useful for (unless you REALLY get into computer hardware, like designing chips using new semiconductor materials like grapheme...)

But the real answer is probably that education systems aren't logical. You have to learn (1) how to follow instructions that seem stupid, and (2) how to handle stuff that you don't like or are not very interested in. Both those skills will come in very useful in real life, after you leave college :smile:

Why do you need to learn history, languages, politics and literature?

No one wants a person who only knows a lot about one thing and nothing about everything else.

Physics actually has some direct uses in computer science, I am not as sure about chemistry though. Some uses I can think of for physics are collision detection, physics, etc. in graphics programming and game development. In fact graphics theory uses a lot of physics, especially optics.

Last edited:
Gullik said:
Why do you need to learn history, languages, politics and literature?

No one wants a person who only knows a lot about one thing and nothing about everything else.
I'm not against teaching physics, chemistry and history, languages etc.
Of course all subjects should be taught in school, that's what school is for (well one of the reasons).

I was just thinking about the exam system and testing students on physics, chemistry and math for a computer science course does not seem a good idea.
There might be people who are brilliant with computers but couldn't obtain a good score because it doesn't test what they are good at.

Avichal said:
I was just thinking about the exam system and testing students on physics, chemistry and math for a computer science course does not seem a good idea.
There might be people who are brilliant with computers but couldn't obtain a good score because it doesn't test what they are good at.
That is why they offer degrees in software engineering, and computer information systems. People who do not want to take math intensive studies and hard sciences probably should not study computer science. Most people have no idea what is meant by computer science, it is not simply programming it is actually very mathematical and science based.

Last edited:
As someone who works in R&D at a computer manufacturer, studied computer science at school, and actually gets paid to code I can assure you it is because you need to. Academia's obligation is to produce thinkers. That's why the highest degree they offer is titled as "Philosopher". Requiring students to take physics, chemistry, and math beyond what's required for their major coursework will expose students to problem solving skills they wouldn't develop via their major coursework alone. And further more, programming is not independent of the hardware. You don't have relevant skills if you claim you "know programming language X" but don't know what effect is has on the machine at the assembler, linker, and architecture level. And an primary understanding of electromagnetism and circuits is the required base for this. Those who fall into this category don't know ****, just syntax.

So what can you contribute vocationally without exposure to your mentioned fields? Perhaps you'll be cataloging to world's data at Facebook or Google and won't be using any discrete math? Will Dell hire a Thermal Test Engineer who has no clue about thermodynamics? I wonder which Firmware Test Engineer's don't know Ohm's Law from the Pythagorean Theorem. If you get A+ certification and become a PC repair tech you won't have to take those classes, but you will still have to think and know a little about Physics.

The first electronic digital computer was invented by a physics professor if I remember correctly. I recall reading something like that in one of my classes this past semester.

1. Why do I need to study physics and chemistry for computer science?

Physics and chemistry are fundamental sciences that form the basis of computer science. The concepts and principles learned in these subjects are essential for understanding how computers and other electronic devices work. They also provide the necessary background for understanding the complex algorithms used in computer programming.

2. What specific concepts from physics and chemistry are relevant to computer science?

Some of the key concepts from physics and chemistry that are relevant to computer science include electricity, magnetism, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics. These concepts are used to understand the behavior of electronic components and the principles behind computer hardware.

3. How does studying physics and chemistry help me become a better computer scientist?

Studying physics and chemistry helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential for success in computer science. These sciences also provide a strong foundation in mathematics, which is crucial for understanding complex algorithms and data structures used in computer programming.

4. Can I skip studying physics and chemistry and still be successful in computer science?

While it is possible to learn computer science without studying physics and chemistry, it is not recommended. Having a strong foundation in these sciences will give you a better understanding of the principles behind computer technology, making it easier to learn and apply new concepts.

5. Are there any real-world applications of physics and chemistry in computer science?

Absolutely! Many technologies and devices that we use every day, such as computers, smartphones, and GPS systems, rely on principles from physics and chemistry. By studying these sciences, you will gain a deeper understanding of how these technologies work and how they can be improved in the future.