Why?Probably the most popular question in physics.

• Thread starter student24
  • Start date
Because physics is BUZZY

:yuck:

Why physics? If not physics, then what else?
exactly the point! what do you understand if you don't even understand how the world works?

There was never any other option in my mind.

Woah, old thread.

Anyway, the reason I studied physics is because I'm interested in learning how stuff works. I used to read a lot of physics books as a kid, I just didn't know it. I used to read about the Big Bang, atomic theory, light, and things of that nature long before I ever knew that there was a discipline called "physics" that put it all together. Back in high school my plan was to go to college and, major in biology, get into medical school, and then pull in $$$ like it was nobody's business. But in eleventh grade I took an algebra-based physics class at my local community college, which was intended for biology and other non-physics majors. Before this I really didn't know what physics was all about. But after being exposed to physics and finding that I was good at it, I decided that I'd like to do this for a living.

And besides that, there's also the "what else?" question that others have alluded to. After becoming interested in physics, everything else seemed mundane to me. I didn't want to end up in a cubicle working from 9 to 5 every day to make some guy at the top rich. To me, physics seems like something worthwhile. Sure, the hours are a lot worse (more like 5 to 9). But the work of physicists contributes to our understanding of the universe, and it's an interesting challenge. So that's why I majored in physics.

Woah, old thread.

Anyway, the reason I studied physics is because I'm interested in learning how stuff works. I used to read a lot of physics books as a kid, I just didn't know it. I used to read about the Big Bang, atomic theory, light, and things of that nature long before I ever knew that there was a discipline called "physics" that put it all together. Back in high school my plan was to go to college and, major in biology, get into medical school, and then pull in $$$ like it was nobody's business. But in eleventh grade I took an algebra-based physics class at my local community college, which was intended for biology and other non-physics majors. Before this I really didn't know what physics was all about. But after being exposed to physics and finding that I was good at it, I decided that I'd like to do this for a living.

And besides that, there's also the "what else?" question that others have alluded to. After becoming interested in physics, everything else seemed mundane to me. I didn't want to end up in a cubicle working from 9 to 5 every day to make some guy at the top rich. To me, physics seems like something worthwhile. Sure, the hours are a lot worse (more like 5 to 9). But the work of physicists contributes to our understanding of the universe, and it's an interesting challenge. So that's why I majored in physics.
Sounds like myself. Although I might go down the maths paths because I am too much of a purist but will do physics on the side as well, probably for the rest of my life.

I pretty much didn't like school that much until in the 11th grade when I took AP physics and actually set the curves on exams many times. I also gradually withdrew myself from my peers and thus experienced less peer pressure and more attention to my studies, mostly physics. So I decided to major in engineering. Then I took physics at my community college, realized I was one of the best students in the class and realized I was showing an unusual amount of interest in the subject. So I eventually decided to major in physics instead of engineering.

Last edited:
Stamp collecting. :biggrin:
Base jumping, then at least your still studying physics, just from a more hands on perspective :wink::smile:

OP: I'm a masochist :biggrin::tongue2:

No seriously I studied a pre degree refresher course in science and I found the physics parts to be especially interesting, I was going to do biology but after really getting alot out of the physics aspects, I decided to get some maths qualification and do the physics degree.

My path was chaotic. I took physics and then advanced physics in highschool, but I don't think I had any special interest in physics. It just was another college prep type class. The semester before I almost took a 2 period A.P. chem course but opted for world cultures and AP history instead. lol that could have changed my life. Chemistry is a neat subject...

My first 2 years of college were random. At times I thought I was going to major in history, microbiology, or philosophy. I became really interesting in reading and wanted to know everything. I read some pop physics books like The Elegant Universe. Eventually, I got to The Road to Reality and realized that I was not going to be able to just read and learn physics on my own. I wanted to know the math behind it. I also kind of felt that I should be doing something considered more challenging than other subjects since through highschool I usually took the advanced classes.

And so I find myself now in the middle of an undergraduate physics degree and would like to go to grad school...

Why?

Why shouldnt we see the world through a new view?

Last edited: